NNLM Reading Club
The NNLM Reading Club is a selection of “ready-to-use” book titles along with free and downloadable materials designed to help libraries support the health information needs in their communities. Through the fun and intimacy of a book club, readers will discuss health and wellness topics important to them and their loved ones as well as discover NIH National Library of Medicine evidence-based consumer health resources.
Engage for Health
Engage for Health [Fix Link]is a program available for libraries, community and faith based agencies, and health care providers to offer in their communities on patient empowerment and communication.
Let’s Move in Libraries
Let’s Move in Libraries is a great place for library professionals to be inspired by, learn about and share excellent program ideas to get their communities moving.
Programming Librarian: Health and Wellness
Programming Librarian is a searchable database of library program ideas from the American Library Association Public Programs Office.
Public Library Association
Public Library Association Health Resources has the tools, program ideas and primers you need to stay up-to- date on health literacy topics from PLA.
WebJunction: Health Happens in Libraries
WebJunction: Health Happens at Libraries is a program that magnifies the role of public libraries as key contributors to community health. Visit for health information news, resources, and webinars for public libraries.
- Explore Sensory Discoveries This blog post from staff at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh share concepts and techniques from their Sensory Discoveries storytime including the use of a visual schedule, lots of repetition and activities to engage the senses while promoting play and early learning.
- Sensory Storytime: Tips and Tricks for a Successful Program This blog post on ALSC highlight best practices, books, and songs for sensory storytime programming.
- Digital Sensory Storytime Resource Guide from Ohio Ready to Read.
- Music and Movement from Let’s Move in Libraries Links to many articles and resources on incorporating music and movement into programming.
- Jbrary - Tune in for Storytime Success Songs and storytime program ideas with many YouTube tutorials. See “Body Parts Songs, Fingerplays, and Tickles” and “Food Storytime”
- Also, see this article about a NNLM funded Sensory Storytime
NNLM National Evaluation Center
All NNLM-funded projects have evaluation requirements. The NNLM National Evaluation Center has a list of evaluation methods and information about reporting tools. Writing a proposal? Follow these 5 Steps to an Evaluation Plan.
Project Outcome from the Public Library Association is a FREE online toolkit designed to help public libraries understand and share the impact of essential library programs and services by providing simple surveys and an easy-to-use process for measuring and analyzing outcomes.
Health outreach within the community is best done in partnership with other organizations. Below please find sample letters of invitation to participate, invitation to speak, and of thanks. These letters can be printed and mailed or modified to send via email.
- Partner for Health Fair at Library (Template)
- Speaker Request Letter (Template)
- Speaker Thank You Letter (Template)
- Thank You Note Health Fair Vendor (Template)
- Activate, Collaborate, and Educate: Health Outreach and Programming in Your Community
- Stand Up for Health: Health and Wellness Services for Your Community for Public Libraries