Fall 2021 #CiteNLM Edit-a-thon
The fall #CiteNLM campaign period will run from November 1-30, 2021. This edit-a-thon will focus on improving articles related to Preventative Health Care and Wellness.
The fall campaign will be an ongoing event! We invite experienced editors and those new to editing to join the program dashboard and edit articles throughout the month of November.
How to Participate
Step 1: Create a free account on Wikipedia
Step 2: Register on our campaign dashboard
- Sign-up to independently participate in the month long virtual edit-a-thon anytime or host your own virtual event
- If you’re a new editor, or new to WikiProject Medicine, complete the training modules on Wikipedia Basics and/or Editing Medical Topics
Step 3: Find an article that needs a citation. Here are some strategies:
- Choose one of the pre-selected articles on the program dashboard
- Find an article with sourcing or other problems
- Select an article while browsing pages related to the campaign theme
Step 4: Cite a source
- Find a source from NLM or other reliable website to support the article
- Add a citation using Wikipedia Style (learn more about adding citations from 1Lib1Ref)
- Add the project hashtag #CiteNLM in the Wikipedia Edit Summary
Step 5: Share!
#CiteNLM Wikipedia Edit-a-thons
Wikipedia’s health topics pages are visited a staggering 7 billion times a year, making it possibly the world’s most popular health information resource. The objective of #CiteNLM is to improve the credibility and content of medical and health-related articles on Wikipedia by adding citations and information from National Library of Medicine (NLM) sources.
NLM is actively engaged in reaching a major strategic goal to “reach more people in more ways through enhanced dissemination and engagement pathways.”
By holding #CiteNLM Wikipedia Edit-a-thons, we can:
- Make it easier to get credible, evidence-based health information online
- Disseminate NLM sources and increase their reach
- Leverage network members’ expertise, experiences, and audiences
- Engage NNLM members nationwide
Our NNLM #CiteNLM campaigns run twice per year, in the Fall and Spring. Join NNLM staff members and Wikipedians virtually during our twice yearly one-day edit-a-thons, or host an event at your institution anytime during the campaign period. Check-out our Organizer’s Guide to learn how.