How PubMed® Works
How PubMed Works is a series of four 90-minute classes presented via WebEx. The individual classes are:
- How PubMed Works: Introduction
- How PubMed Works: Selection
- How PubMed Works: MeSH (Medical Subject Headings)
- How PubMed Works: ATM (Automatic Term Mapping)
Register for each class separately.
Each class is eligible for 1.5 MLA CE credits.
All Session Objectives
How PubMed Works: Introduction
- Understand what PubMed is and what's in it.
- Find the original research that is the basis for a news article.
- Find articles by a specific author.
- Search for articles on a specific subject.
- Narrow search results to a more specific subset
- Explore Advanced Search Builder and Search History.
How PubMed Works: Selection
- Describe some issues and concerns surrounding the current publishing landscape.
- Articulate NLM responsibilities and practices in collecting and providing access to the biomedical literature.
- Explain what is referenced in the PubMed database.
- Describe the selection criteria for the different components of the PubMed database.
- Find additional resources for authors and librarians on assessing publication quality.
How PubMed Works: MeSH (Medical Subject Headings)
- Explore the MeSH Database
- Describe a Controlled Vocabulary
- Explore the four types of MeSH Terms
- Locate and explain entry terms, date introduced, previous indexing, automatic explosion
How PubMed Works: ATM (Automatic Term Mapping)
- Describe the contents of the 3 Translation Tables.
- Explain the order of ATM
- Analyze Search Details to verify term mapping.
- Locate PubMed's list of indexed phrases
- Describe 3 Ways to bypass ATM
1.5 MLA CE Credit per each 90-minute class.