About the NNLM Reading Club
The NNLM Reading Club is a selection of “ready-to-use” book titles along with free and downloadable materials designed to help libraries support the health information needs in their communities. Through the fun and intimacy of a book club, readers will discuss health and wellness topics important to them and their loved ones as well as discover NIH National Library of Medicine evidence-based consumer health resources.
How are books selected?
Books reference a health topic that aligns with the NIH All of Us Research Program and the National Health Observances calendar. Fiction, nonfiction, memoirs, graphic novels, and young adult titles are considered for selection based upon the following criteria:
- Author or book is award-winning or a national bestseller
- Consistent, positive book reviews or reader ratings
- Published within the last five years unless the title is considered a classic work
- Available in another format such as an audio, e-book, or large print
- Reading guide or book discussion guide available
Why use the NNLM Reading Club?
- To find selected books with a health topic
- To download discussion guides and promotional materials
- To discover health information and program ideas