About the NNLM Reading Club
The NNLM Reading Club is a selection of “ready-to-use” book titles along with free and downloadable materials designed to help libraries support the health information needs in their communities. Through the fun and intimacy of a book club, readers will discuss health and wellness topics important to them and their loved ones as well as discover NIH National Library of Medicine consumer health resources.
How are books selected?
Books reference a health topic that aligns with the NIH All of Us Research Program and the National Health Observances calendar. Fiction, nonfiction, memoirs, graphic novels, and young adult titles are considered for selection based upon the following criteria:
- Author or book is award-winning or a national best seller
- Consistent, positive book reviews or reader ratings
- Published within last five years unless the title is considered a classic work
- Available in another format such as audio, e-book, or large print
- Reading guide or book discussion guide available
Why use the NNLM Reading Club Book Selections and Health Resources?
- To find selected books and author information
- To download discussion guides and promotional materials
- To discover health information and program ideas
- To apply for a free NNLM Reading Club Book Kit!
What are the NNLM Reading Club Book Kits?
Short on time? Want to own a "program-in-a-box?" The NNLM Reading Club Book Kit can be requested and shipped free of charge from a participating National Network of Libraries of Medicine regional office. A standard NNLM Reading Club Book Kit includes:
- 8* books, regular print **
- 8 bookmarks
- 8 discussion guides
- 8 NIH All of Us Research Program brochures
- 1 NIH MedlinePlus Magazine
- 1 library book bag
* Quantity may vary by region.
** When available, alternative formats such as large print and audio may be substituted upon request.
How are the Book Kits funded?
The NNLM Reading Club Book Kits are made available with funds from the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the NIH All of Us Research Program. By submitting an application, you agree to promote NLM resources and raise awareness of the NIH All of Us Research Program by sharing brochures and information included in the shipment. Within six to eight weeks of receipt of the book kit, you also will be asked to complete a short survey about the NNLM Reading Club.
How to apply for a Book Kit?
To request the NNLM Reading Club Book Kit Feature Selection from your *participating NNLM Regional Medical Library, complete the online application form. Any United States library that is an organizational member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine is eligible to apply. Due to the limited supply of federally-sponsored NNLM Reading Club Book Kits, public libraries supporting outreach to populations that meet the NIH Underrepresented in Biomedical Research criteria receive priority status.
*The following regions currently are accepting applications:
- GMR (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin)
- MCR (Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah, Wyoming)
- PNR (Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington)
- PSR (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada)
- SEA (Alabama, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia)
- SCR (Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas)