This 1 hour webinar focuses on the location, selection, and effective use of statistics relevant to health on the local, state, national, and international levels. The importance and relevance of health statistics in various contexts will be discussed. Participants will have the opportunity to become familiar with the features and scope of several statistics Internet resources through the use of numerous exercises.
At the conclusion of the class, participants will be able to:
- Identify selected key websites for use in the location of data sets and statistics for use at the local, state and national level, including PHPartners and MedlinePlus.
- Discuss of the types of data sets and statistics available on the Internet.
- Define the 4-step process used to successfully locate relevant health statistics for a particular circumstance or issue.
- Describe where to locate additional health statistics training through the National Information Center on Health Services Research & Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Sample Agenda for 1 hour course:
Introduction (5 minutes)
Statistics Overview (7 minutes)
- Data vs. Statistics
- Key Features of Health Statistics
- Uses of Health Statistics
Steps to Finding Health Statistics (5 Minutes)
Sources of Health Statistics (43 minutes)
- Statistics portals (8 minutes)
- National level Statistics (15 minutes)
- State & Local Statistics (15 minutes)
- International Statistics (5 minutes)
1, 2 or 3 hours. Variable credit class. The number of CE credits is tied to how much time and effort is expected of the learner to complete the class. A higher credit class goes deeper into the content.