NNLM offers funding for projects that improve access to health information, increase engagement with research and data, expand professional knowledge, and support outreach that promotes awareness and use of NLM resources in local communities.
NNLM Funding Opportunities
NLM Funding Opportunities
The Extramural Programs of the National Library of Medicine funds projects in areas important to its mission. As the nation's premier repository of biomedical information, NLM has a vital interest in information management and in the enormous utility of computers and telecommunication for improving storage, retrieval, access, and use of biomedical information. NLM provides extramural support through grants-in-aid and, less commonly, contracts.
Click on the extramural links below to find out more about grants offered by NLM.
- Division of Extramural Programs
- Extramural Programs Awards (list of awards made since 1997)
- Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tool (RePORT) Reports, data and analyses of NIH research activities, including a searchable database of federally funded biomedical research projects conducted at universities, hospitals, and other research institutions.
National Institute of Health (NIH) Office of Extramural Research
Provides links to Funding Opportunities, Grants Policy and Guidance, Awards Data and Receipt Dates. The NIH Grants Policy Statement is an up-to-date policy guidance that will serve as the terms and conditions of NIH awards and provides information about the NIH staff, organization, and the grants process. The Guide for Grants and Contracts Archive may be searched to find official NIH policies, procedures, and funding availability.
- NIH Grant Application Basics http://grants.nih.gov/grants/grant_basics.htm
- Electronic Submission of Grant Applications https://era.nih.gov/index.cfm
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding electronic submission of grants to NIH. Discusses the procedure around using Grants.gov
- NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts is the official publication for NIH medical and behavioral research grant policies, guidelines and funding opportunities; the weekly issue is searchable and available via email.
- NIH Funding Opportunities is also available in RSS (Really Simple News Syndication) format
- NIH Extramural Nexus is a bimonthly update from the NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER), NIH. To subscribe send an email to Listserv@list.nih.gov including only the words "Subscribe EXTRAMURALNEXUS" in the body of the message
Additional Funding and Assistance
Find other funding opportunities at Funding Beyond NLM and NNLM
Find information on writing proposals at Proposal Writing Support