Melissa Rethlefsen, MSLS, AHIP
Interim Director, MCR, NTO
Melissa L. Rethlefsen, MSLS, AHIP is the Interim Executive Director, Knowledge Management and Eccles Health Sciences Library, Filling the roles vacated by Jean Shipman, who retired in August, 2017, Rethlefsen will continue to build on the strong regional and national legacy.
Rethlefsen led the Research Reproducibility 2016 conference, and she continues to work across the University of Utah campus to improve research reproducibility. She is also the Section Director for the Center for Clinical & Translational Science’s Systematic Review Core and an adjunct instructor in the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine.
She has a rich background in health sciences librarianship and leadership within the institution and her profession. She is currently a member of the Medical Library Association (MLA) Board of Directors, and is a Distinguished Member of the Academy of Health Information Professionals. In 2016, she was awarded the prestigious National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Leadership Fellowship. She received the Estelle Brodman Award for Academic Medical Librarian of the Year in 2015, and she was named a Library Journal Mover & Shaker in 2009. Her primary research interests are systematic review methodology and reporting, and bibliometrics.
- Rethlefsen ML, Farrell AM, Osterhaus Trzasko LC & Brigham TJ (2015). Librarian co-authors correlated with higher quality reported search strategies in general internal medicine systematic reviews. Journal of clinical epidemiology. Vol. 68, 617-26. Published, 05/01/2015.
- Rethlefsen ML, Murad MH & Livingston EH (2014). Engaging medical librarians to improve the quality of review articles. JAMA. Vol. 312, 999-1000. Published, 09/01/2014.
- Rethlefsen ML & Aldrich AM (2013). Environmental health citation patterns: mapping the literature 2008-2010. Journal of the Medical Library Association : JMLA. Vol. 101, 47-54. Published, 02/01/2013.
- Rethlefsen ML & Livinski AA (2013). Infectious diseases citation patterns: mapping the literature 2008-2010. Journal of the Medical Library Association : JMLA. Vol. 101, 55-62. Published, 02/01/2013.
- Osterhaus Trzasko LC, Farrell AM & Rethlefsen ML (2012). Converting an intranet site to the cloud: using CampusGuides to refresh a library portal. Medical reference services quarterly. Vol. 31, 245-57. Published, 08/01/2012.
- Farrell AM, Mayer SH & Rethlefsen ML (2011). Teaching Web 2.0 beyond the library: adventures in social media, the class. Medical reference services quarterly. Vol. 30, 233-44. Published, 08/01/2011.
- Segovis CM & Rethlefsen ML (2011). Social networking savvy. Minnesota medicine. Vol. 94, 30-2. Published, 05/01/2011.
- McDonald RJ, Neff KL, Rethlefsen ML & Kallmes DF (2010). Effects of author contribution disclosures and numeric limitations on authorship trends. (pp. 920-7). Vol. 85. Mayo Clinic proceedings. Published, 10/01/2010.
- Rethlefsen ML, Piorun M & Prince JD (2009). Teaching Web 2.0 technologies using Web 2.0 technologies. Journal of the Medical Library Association : JMLA. Vol. 97, 253-9. Published, 10/01/2009.
- Rethlefsen M & Segovis C (2009). Medicine in the era of Web 2.0. Minnesota medicine. Vol. 92, 30-3. Published, 04/01/2009.
- Littleton D & Rethlefsen M (2008). Library learning space--empirical research and perspective. Medical reference services quarterly. Vol. 27, 313-21. Published, 12/01/2008.
- Rethlefsen M, Rethlefsen ML, Gajic O, Gajic O, Herasevich V & Herasevich V (2008). Stay tuned. Comparison of journal updates tracking using RSS and e-mail technologies. (pp. 1107). . AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium. AMIA Symposium. Published, 11/01/2008.
- Rethlefsen ML & Wallis LC (2007). Public health citation patterns: an analysis of the American Journal of Public Health, 2003-2005. Journal of the Medical Library Association : JMLA. Vol. 95, 408-15. Published, 10/01/2007.
- Segovis CM, Mueller PS, Rethlefsen ML, LaRusso NF, Litin SC, Tefferi A & Habermann TM (2007). If you feed them, they will come: a prospective study of the effects of complimentary food on attendance and physician attitudes at medical grand rounds at an academic medical center. BMC medical education. Vol. 7, 22. Published, 08/01/2007.
- Rethlefsen ML (2007). Citation analysis of Minnesota Department of Health official publications and journal articles: a needs assessment for the RN Barr Library. Journal of the Medical Library Association : JMLA. Vol. 95, 260-6. Published, 07/01/2007.
- Rethlefsen ML & Segovis CM (2006). Cool tools: google, RSS, Podcasts, oh my!. Minnesota medicine. Vol. 89, 32-6. Published, 12/01/2006.
- Worel SL & Rethlefsen ML (2003). 1927 reference in the new millennium: where is the Automat?. (pp. 222-30). Vol. 91. Journal of the Medical Library Association : JMLA. Published, 07/01/2003.