Lisa Smith, MLS
Executive Director, SCR
- Oversees and manages the NNLM SCR contract and associated programs for the NNLM SCR
- Oversees the development and implementation of programming for the five state region
- Establishes and maintains relationships with Network members and health information professionals
- Develops budget and monitors established budgetary goals and objectives
- Maintains Regional Emergency Preparedness Plan
- Manages and supervises the activities of NNLM SCR Coordinators
Before coming to the NNLM SCR, she held administrative positions within health science libraries and also provided health information outreach to the North Texas community. Smith served as the Associate Director for the University of North Texas Health Science Center Library where she provided operational oversight of Lewis Library programs and personnel. She also served as the Lewis Library Outreach Librarian to provide educational programming throughout 24 counties within North Texas with the goal of increasing patient health literacy and clinician knowledge of bibliographic and point of care tools. Smith has also served as the Head of Technical Services for the Baylor Health Sciences Library in Dallas, Texas where she coordinated the system migration for the integrated library system.
Smith has successfully received federal funding to develop and offer several outreach programs focusing upon: consumer health education for underserved populations, senior health literacy, introducing first responders to health information mobile technologies and increasing the health communication skills of physician assistant students.
Smith also holds an appointment as an Associate Fellow of the University of North Texas Health Science Center Institute for Patient Safety and has served on several regional and national committees which include the Plaza Medical Center Evidence Based Practice Council, chair of the American Library Association, Library Leadership and Management Systems and Services Committee, chair of the South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association Continuing Education Committee and member of the North Texas Regional Library System Continuing Education Committee.