Debbie Montenegro, MSIS
Deputy Director, SCR
- Coordinates with the Executive Director to implement administrative plans, goals, and objectives.
- Grants and sub-award management, grant review lead, funding administration and support, collaboration with internal offices (Office of Sponsored Projects) and external partners.
- Coordinates and implements health information outreach programs for the South Central Region. Promotes and provides training on consumer health resources from the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Course development. Professional development trainer and educator. In-person and virtual training offerings and speaking engagements at conferences.
- Represents SCR on national committees and supports national initiatives and priorities of NNLM and NLM.
- Collaborates and partners with academic institutions, health organizations, community organizations, libraries, K-12 educators, science educators and more.
Debbie Montenegro holds a Master of Science in Information Science with a Health Informatics Specialization from UNT and a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry from SMU. While at SMU, Debbie completed an internship where she worked in the lab with a research team of chemists and biologists. Debbie also completed a teacher certification program and taught both Chemistry and Environmental Science at the senior high school level. While obtaining her master’s degree, she worked at a local public library. After obtaining her graduate degree, she worked as the Learning Resource Center Manager at a nursing school, where she assisted nursing students and faculty. Debbie then worked as a Cardiovascular Epidemiology Research Analyst for Baylor Scott & White Health, where she worked on NIH, NHLBI, and industry funded studies. She has been published in the Journal of American College of Cardiology: Cardiovascular Imaging, also in Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes (an American Heart Association journal), and as a co-author on an abstract presented at The Society of Thoracic Surgeons 53rd Annual Meeting.