Will Duct Tape Cure My Warts? Examining Complementary and Alternative Medicine
The goal of this class is to increase understanding of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM). Students will learn the history of CAM and its impact on medical practices. They will learn how CAM is used, how to avoid “bad science” and how to look up evidence of the effectiveness of CAM therapies. This class is offered for 2 hours or 4 hours. Both classes will include lecture, discussion, and hands-on training.
- Have knowledge of the definition and types of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM).
- Have greater knowledge of the history of CAM and its impact on medical practice.
- Have greater understanding of usage of CAM.
- Increase confidence in evaluating health websites.
- Increase skills in avoiding “bad science” found on the Internet or in the news.
- Become more proficient in searching for evidence of the effectiveness of CAM.
- Agenda 4-hour (28kb, rev: Nov 15, 2007)
- Agenda 2-hour (28kb, rev: Nov 15, 2007)
- PowerPoint presentation (2680kb, rev: Mar 11, 2011)
- Class Links
- Recommended Websites (51kb, rev: Mar 17, 2010)
- Pretest (28kb, rev: Nov 15, 2007)
- Website Evaluation Exercises (28kb, rev: Mar 6, 2008)
- Class Exercises (28kb, rev: Nov 15, 2007)
- Bibliography (32kb, rev: Nov 15, 2007)
Upon successful completion of this class, each participant will receive 2 or 4 hours of continuing education credit awarded by the Medical Library Association. Certificates will be delivered through the mail at a later date.
Greater Midwest Region
Samanthi Hewakapuge, Consumer Health Coordinator, 1(312)996-2226, 1(312)996-7791
Barbara Jones, Network Membership and Missouri Liaison, email@example.com, 1(573)884-5042
Middle Atlantic Region
Lydia Collins, Consumer Health Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 412-624-1515, 412-624-1411
Pacific Northwest Region
Carolyn Martin, Consumer Health Outreach Coordinator, email@example.com, 206-221-3449
Pacific Southwest Region
Kay Deeney, Educational Services Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1(310)825-5389, 1(310)206-0525
Kelli Ham, Consumer Health and Technology Coordinator, 1(310)825-5389, 1(310)825-1984
South Central Region
Adela Justice, Consumer Health Coordinator, email@example.com, 1(713)799-7183
Southeastern Atlantic Region
Terri Ottosen, Consumer Health Coordinator, 1(410)706-0099, 1(410)706-2855
Nancy Patterson, Community Outreach Coordinator, (410)706-2858
Adela Justice, Consumer Health Coordinator, NN/LM South Central Region
Michelle Malizia, former Associate Director, NN/LM South Central Region
Karen Vargas, Evaluation Specialist, NN/LM Outreach Evaluation Resource Center