Misc. Emergency Response and Disaster Recovery Resources
- American Health Lawyers Association - Health Lawyers Emergency Preparedness, Response and Recovery Checklist
- Center for Advancement of Collaborative Strategies in Health -Redefining Readiness addresses a fundamental flaw that is undermining efforts in all areas of emergency preparedness. Currently, planners are developing emergency instructions for people to follow without finding out whether it is actually possible for them to do so or whether the instructions are even the most protective action for certain groups of people to take.
- Center for Biopreparedness Education - Resources - 20 Week Stockpiling Checklist Preparation Guide for Emergencies
- Council of State Archivists (CoSA)- CoSA developed its Framework for Emergency Preparedness during 2006 as a central focus of Phase One of its Emergency Preparedness Initiative.
- Disaster News Network- The Disaster News Network (DNN) is a news service that reports about disaster response and suggests ways for the public to help survivors.
- Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Response Response Association- The Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Response Association (DERA) was founded in 1962 to help communities with disaster preparedness, hazard mitigation, and emergency response and recovery.
- >Healthcare Financial Management Association - Chief Financial Officer's Checklist for Disaster Recovery
- Healthy Roads Media - This site contains free health education materials in a number of languages and a variety of formats. They are being developed to study the value of these formats in providing health information for diverse populations in a variety of settings.
- International Council of Nurses - Disaster Preparedness Links
- Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism (MIPT) Information Center- The Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism (MIPT) Information Center, located on the grounds of the Oklahoma City Memorial, Oklahoma City, OK, provides access to a unique collection of resources and databases. The Library contains terrorism related information and services not found in other institutions or organizations, including full-text digitized documents, articles, books and reference services.
- National Emergency Management Association- The National Emergency Management Association is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)(3) association dedicated to enhancing public safety by improving the nations ability to prepare for, respond to and recover from all emergencies, disasters, and threats to our nations security.
- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD)- NVOAD is a point of communication among voluntary organizations engaged in disaster response.
- News and Terrorism: Biological Attacks - 2/1/2008 - National Academies Press - Since September 11, 2001, the United States has been more mindful of the potential risks to the security of our nation. This podcast is third in a series of four fact sheets produced to inform the media and public about the different types, potential impact, and how to protect themselves from these risks.
- PrepareNow.org- The PrepareNow.org site is devoted to supporting the needs of vulnerable populations in disaster preparedness and response.
- Building a Disaster Plan Getty Publication, now out of print but pdf available for downloading. For cultural collections, but focus on the "exercising" section and ideas you can use for training, drills and testing your plans.
- Improving Disaster Management: The Role of IT in Mitigation, Preparedness, Response, and Recovery - Information technology (IT) has the potential to play a critical role in managing natural and human made disasters. Damage to communications infrastructure, along with other communications problems exacerbated the difficulties in carrying out response and recovery efforts following Hurricane Katrina. To assist government planning in this area, the Congress, in the E-government Act of 2002, directed the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to request the NRC to conduct a study on the application of IT to disaster management. This report characterizes disaster management providing a framework for considering the range and nature of information and communication needs; presents a vision of the potential for IT to improve disaster management; provides an analysis of structural, organizational, and other non-technical barriers to the acquisition, adoption, and effective use of IT in disaster; and offers an outline of a research program aimed at strengthening IT-enabled capabilities for disaster management.
- National Academic Press - Research Priorities in Emergency Preparedness and Response for Public Health Systems: A Letter Report - Conclusions and recommendations from the IOM Committee on Research Priorities in Emergency Preparedness and Response for Public Health Systems.
- Pediatrics - Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics - Preparation for Emergencies in the Offices of Pediatricians and Pediatric Care Providers - Committee on Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Research Priorities in Emergency Preparedness and Response for Public Health Systems: A Letter Report Conclusions and recommendations for the IOM Committee on Research Priorities in Emergency Preparedness and Response for Public Health Systems
Animal Health Resources
- American Veterinary Medical Association- The educational materials to assist veterinarians, animal owners, and others interested in the well-being of animals to prepare for animal safety in the event of a disaster.
- The Humane Society of the United States, Disaster Center- Resources for displaced pets and pet owners.
If you have any resources that you think should be added to this page, please let us know.