The Friends of the National Library of Medicine are seeking nominations for the 2016 Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award.
The Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award, for outstanding outreach librarians serving rural or underserved populations, was established in the early 1990s to recognize the contributions to medical education and librarianship by Michael E. DeBakey, M.D. (1908 – 2008). A world-renowned American cardiac surgeon, innovator, medical educator, and international medical statesman, Dr. DeBakey worked tirelessly in numerous capacities to improve national and international standards of health care. We are honored to present the Award to a practicing health sciences librarian who works in the tradition of the incredible advances and medical innovations of Dr. DeBakey to provide valuable health information to underserved and rural populations. The recipient of the Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award is publicly recognized at the FNLM Annual Awards Dinner in 2016 in Washington, DC.
- Nominees must be currently employed as a health sciences librarian and have worked in such a position for at least five years immediately preceding the award.
- The nomination may be made for contributions by the librarian as demonstrated by excellence and achievement in leadership, publications, teaching, research, special projects or any combination of these.
- Nominations must be in writing and contain at least the following elements:
- The official nomination form (E-mail below for the application form.)
- A precise description of the nominee’s achievements, no more than 5 pages please
- A current resume or curriculum vitae
- Any additional information that would assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and selection of the recipient. Please include no more than ten extra pages.
- Self-nominations are accepted and encouraged.
- All nominations must be received by May 1, 2016 via mail, fax, or email (details below):
Mail: Friends of the National Library of Medicine; 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 500; Bethesda, MD 20814
Email: email@example.com, Fax: 301-657-1296