SEAside Webinar: Introduction to SNOMED CT and the Value Set Authority Center (VSAC) – September 19, 2016Monday, September 12th, 2016
Date/Time: Monday, September 19, 2016 1:30 – 3:00 PM ET
Presenter: Suzy Roy, MLS, MS, SNOMED CT, National Library of Medicine and Maureen Madden, MSN, PCCNP, CCRN, Value Set Authority Center (VSAC).
Co-Sponsor: DCAHSL District of Columbia Area Health Science Libraries
Contact: For additional information or questions about this webinar, please contact Tony Nguyen.
Summary: This program will introduce the audience to SNOMED CT and the Value Set Authority Center (VSAC). SNOMED CT is a standardized, multilingual vocabulary of clinical terminology that is used for the electronic exchange of clinical health information. The Value Set Authority Center utilizes SNOMED CT and other standard vocabularies and provides downloadable access to all official versions of vocabulary value sets contained in the 2014 Clinical Quality Measures from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Presenter Bio: Suzy Roy is the SNOMED CT Coordinator at the National Library of Medicine. Suzy is a U.S. Member Forum Representative to the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organisation (IHTSDO), ensuring that the policies and initiatives of U.S. SNOMED CT are met at the international level. Prior to becoming the SNOMED CT Coordinator Suzy was an NLM Associate Fellow, and formerly a neuroscience researcher at Purdue University specializing in the areas of obesity research and neurodegenerative diseases. In her non-work life Suzy teaches knitting at local area yarn shops and rock climbs.
Presenter Bio: Maureen is the coordinator and project manager for the Value Set Authority Center (VSAC) since its launch in 2012. Maureen serves as the liaison between the public users of the VSAC, multiple government, academic and NLM developers. Maureen began her NLM career in 1989 as a MeSH indexer and then GenBank submission curator at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). Subsequently, after several years with the NIH Intramural Sequencing Center at NHGRI performing genome assembly for the ENCODE project, Maureen returned to the NLM to work on the Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) project. Her work in biomedical informatics and health information interoperability led to her appointment as the coordinator for the Value Set Authority Center.
Upon completion of the Beyond the SEA Webinar, each participant will receive 1.5 hours of continuing education credit awarded by the Medical Library Association. Certificates will be available electronically following completion of the online survey supplied at the end of the webinar.
- Pre-registration is strongly recommended, but not required. Visit our registration page to sign up!
To Join the Webinar:
- Go to this URL: https://nih.webex.com/
- Enter the Meeting Number: 629 739 325
- Enter the Password: seaside
- Enter your Name, E-mail Address, and Session Password again to Join the Session.
- Follow the instructions in the meeting room to have WebEx call your phone if you do not want to use your computer’s speakers and microphone.
Please note that DCAHSL will hold a business meeting from 1:00-1:30 ET in the conference room prior to the start of the webinar.
Technical Briefs – Important Information Prior to the Use of WebEx
- Getting Started Guide for WebEx Participants
- WebEx System Requirements: https://help.webex.com/docs/DOC-4748.
- WebEx System Requirements Mobile Devices: https://help.webex.com/community/webex-mobile/activity
- IMPORTANT – If your computer runs on Windows 10, please follow this guide on utilizing WebEx: https://video.nih.gov/webex/docs/WebEx-Getting-Started-Guide-for-Windows-10.pdf