Date/Time: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 12:00 – 1:30 PM ET
Presenter: Carolyn Schubert, MLIS, Health Sciences & Nursing Librarian, Rose Library, James Madison University.
Co-Sponsor: MACMLA Research and Assessment Committee
Contact: For additional information or questions about this webinar, please contact Tony Nguyen.
Summary: Librarians are encountering more opportunities to conduct original research and contribute to evidence based practices, but only 26% believe they have the educational training to conduct these tasks (Kennedy & Brancolini, 2012). One key step in this process is navigating an Institutional Review Board (IRB) to assure participants are treated in an ethical manner. What does it mean to protect research participants today? What does an IRB look for? What tips, tricks, and best practices can save you time with this process? Discussion of these questions and more are the focus of this webinar.
Presenter Bio: Carolyn Schubert is the Health Sciences & Nursing Librarian at James Madison University. She received her MLIS from San Jose State University in 2009. Her research interests include the scholarship of teaching and learning in nursing and health sciences, especially biomedical informatics and evidence based practice, and research and assessment of librarianship. She is currently a member of JMU’s Institutional Review Board. She also participated in the 2015 Institute for Research Design in Librarianship.
Upon completion of the Beyond the SEA Webinar, each participant will receive 1.5 hours of continuing education credit awarded by the Medical Library Association. Certificates will be available electronically following completion of the online survey supplied at the end of the webinar.
What do you need to join this conference?
- Pre-Registration is strongly recommended, but not required. Visit our registration page to sign up!
- You can join the webinar the day of if you forget to pre-register. You can simply connect to the webinar a few minutes before the start of the webinar with the information provided below.
- A computer (with Flash installed)
- A telephone
How do I connect?
- Go to this URL: http://webmeeting.nih.gov/beyondthesea/
- Enter as a Guest
- Sign in with your first and last name.
- Follow the instructions in the meeting room to have Adobe Connect call your phone (this is the preferred way; however, if you have an extension or for some reason cannot let Adobe connect call you, instructions will be available when you sign in to Adobe Connect.)
Test your connection: https://webmeeting.nih.gov/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm.
Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview.