Beyond the SEA – Harnessing the Power of GIS: Tips on Getting Started – September 18, 2013
Time: 12 Noon ET
Presentation: Harnessing the Power of GIS: Tips on Getting Started
Presenter: Julie Spangler, GISP Senior GIS Analyst, JMT Technology Group, Baltimore, MD and Adjunct Faculty Member, Geospatial Applications Program, Community College of Baltimore County.
Julie is a Senior GIS Analyst with 14 years of experience in database and information management. She holds a Master of Science in Applied Information Technology, a Bachelor of Science in Geography and Environmental Planning, and a Professional Certificate in Database Management Systems, all from Towson University.
Summary: A Geographic Information System (GIS) is a powerful tool for analyzing data to better understand relationships, patterns and trends. Because GIS is used across a broad spectrum of industries, it can also seem very confusing and challenging to implement and support. The purpose of this webinar will be to:
- Offer a basic understanding of the technology and framework
- Investigate some of the primary sources for readily available basemap data
- Discuss how to evaluate basemap data for use in health investigations
- Highlight some uses and applications of GIS within the health field
- Outline a course of action to learn more
What do you need to join this conference?
- A computer (with Flash installed)
- A telephone
How do I connect?
- Go to this URL: http://webmeeting.nih.gov/beyondthesea/
- Enter as a Guest
- Sign in with your first and last name
- Follow the instructions in the meeting room to have Adobe Connect call your phone (this is the preferred way; however, if you have an extension or for some other reason cannot let Adobe connect call you phone, call 1-800-605-5167 and enter the participant code 816440 when prompted.)
Test your connection: https://webmeeting.nih.gov/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview