West Virginia State Page
West Virginia is located in the mid-Atlantic United States, with its state capital located in Charleston. West Virginia has 55 counties and is bordered by Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky.
Among the 50 states, West Virginia ranks 41st in size, covering 24,231 square miles. According to the 2000 Census, West Virginia ranks 37th in population size with 1,808,344 residents, and the state's population is projected to increase by just 0.9 percent by 2010. The greatest percentage of the state's population (11%) is found in Kanawha County, which includes Charleston, the state's largest city. An analysis of county population projections indicates that 42 counties are projected to experience a decline in population by 2010, including Kanawha County, which is projected to decrease in population by 6 percent.
Library Associations/ Consortia/ Local Groups
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the Medical Library Association - An organization of health sciences librarians and other information professionals serving the District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- West Virginia Library Association - The West Virginia Library Association (WVLA) was established in 1914 to promote library service and librarianship in West Virginia.
- West Virginia Public Libraries - A Web directory from Libweb providing links to West Virginia's public libraries' home pages.
- West Virginia Library Commission - a source for information, resources, and programs that promote, assist, and support the development of library services in West Virginia.
- Find a Network Library: http://nnlm.gov/members/adv.html