SEA Funding Toolkit
- Funding requests may cover personnel time, registration and/or exhibit fees, travel and per diem, communication costs, equipment, software, materials and supplies, reproduction of educational materials, and other costs as needed.
- Per diems are the only food costs allowed.
- Furniture and promotional costs are not allowed.
Creating a Budget Table
During the award application process, please provide a basic table explaining how costs will be allocated. Provide a line item (e.g., Personnel, Materials and Supplies, Travel, etc.) and the approximate funding amount. Example:
|Expenditure Category||Description||Total Cost|
|Hardware or Software Maintenance Agreement|
|Other (Describe in budget justification with cost break down)||Supplies||$250|
|Indirect Costs (IDC) or Facilities and Administration (F&A)||10%||$1,288|
|Total Amount Requested||$14,160|
Creating a Budget Justification
For each Expenditure Category in your Budget Table, you must include a budget justification detailing how you reached the total cost. Using the budget table example above:
Personnel: Cost for 2 instructors to provide 20 classes each in Mississippi to populations underrepresented in biomedical research / community groups / public librarians to provide 4 hour workshops on consumer health. $250 per class * 20 classes = $5,000
Travel: GSA Travel Rates will be honored when traveling to teach throughout the MS region. The cost break down is as follows:
- Estimate hotels $110/night for 20 nights for overnight instruction = 20 * $110 = 2,200.
- Per diem rate of 49.50 * 40 Days of Travel = 1,980
- Mileage 0.575 * est 80 miles per trip * 20 Trips = 920
- Total Travel = 2,200+1,980+920 = $5,100
- Surface Pro X - Black, 8 GB, 128 GB $899 * 2 per instructor = $1,798
- Surface Pro X Keyboard = 112 * 2 = $224
- Total Equipment = $2,022
Reproduction: Printing costs associated with handouts provided during training sessions. 20 classes * 25 attendance/class = $500
Supplies: Additional supplies to facilitate in person class activities (markers, flip charts, flip chart easels, highlighters, notepads, pens, etc). $250
Indirect Costs: The library requests 10% for Modified Total Direct Costs = 12,872 *(0.10) = $1,288
Total Amount Requested: $14,160
Funding for Promotional Items
It is HHS policy that appropriated funds not be used to pay for promotional items. Promotional items include, but are not limited to: clothing and commemorative items such as pens, mugs/cups, folders/folios, lanyards, and conference bags that are sometimes provided to visitors, employees, grantees, or conference attendees. Typically, items or tokens to be given to individuals are considered personal gifts for which appropriated funds may not be expended. Awards cannot cover the costs of providing food for program attendees.
More information is located at: HHS Policy on the Use of Appropriated Funds for Promotional Items.
Development of Training Materials
All awardees are required to share any data or training material resulting from funding. This information must be submitted to the NNLM SEA.
In addition, recipients of funding are expected to use or adapt existing training materials before developing new materials. Consult with the NNLM SEA prior to developing materials.