Mississippi State Page
University of Mississippi Medical Center
Rowland Medical Library
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39216-4505
- Mississippi Media On-line - The Mississippi State University Extension Service provides links to newspapers and magazines, radio stations, and television stations.
- Mississippi Newspapers – The U.S. Newspaper List provides links to Mississippi newspapers, radio stations, television stations, and magazines.
Mississippi is located on southern coast of the United States, with its state capitol in Jackson. Mississippi has 82 counties, and its most populous cities are Jackson, Gulfport, Biloxi, Hattiesburg, and Greenville. Among the 50 states, Mississippi ranks 32nd in size, covering 48,434 square miles. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Mississippi is the 31st most populous state with 2,844,658 residents, and the Census Bureau projects that Mississippi's population will grow by 12 percent between 2000 and 2025, to 3.1 million.
From 2000 to 2003, Desoto County saw the highest population growth, increasing its population by 16 percent. Desoto is part of the Memphis, TN, metropolitan area. The county with the next highest rate of growth was Rankin county, part of the Jackson metro area, increasing by 8.1 percent. During this timeframe, one-half of the counties in Mississippi experienced negative growth.
Library Associations/ Consortia/ Local Groups
- Mississippi Library Association - State chapter of the American Library Association
- Southern Chapter of the Medical Library Association - A professional organization made up of health science librarians from the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
- Directory of Mississippi Public Libraries - This site from Mississippi Library Commission provides links to public libraries.
- Mississippi Library Commission - Offers a wide variety of direct and indirect services to libraries, government agencies and the citizens of Mississippi.
To locate libraries in the NN/LM Network, please use the NN/LM Members Directory.
University of Southern Mississippi
School of Library and Information Science
118 College Drive #5146
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001