State and Regional Exhibiting Awards
The NN/LM Southeastern/Atlantic (SE/A) Region, as part of its outreach program, is accepting applications from SE/A network members to exhibit at state or regional meetings of health professionals, library associations, or health consumers.
The goals of the exhibit award are to:
- promote access to electronic health information needed to make informed health decisions.
- promote Network libraries and their services to a local clientele.
Priority in the 2014-2015 year will be given to applications that target the following groups:
- Consumer groups (especially minority, seniors, and veterans)
- Minority health professional associations
- Nursing associations
- Primary care associations
- Public or rural health associations
- Unaffiliated health professionals such as physician assistants, veterinarians, etc.
- Youth organizations
- Full or affiliate SE/A members in Alabama, District of Columbia, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- A Memorandum of Understanding with the University of Maryland, Baltimore is required for this award.
- Eligible members can apply for up to $2,000 for each exhibit.
- Applications will be accepted for meetings held before April 30, 2016.
- Each Network member institution can receive a maximum of 5 awards per contract year (May 1 - April 30).
Funding will cover registration and booth fees, travel and per diems, communication costs, and equipment rental if needed.
- No indirect costs are allowed for this award.
- Food and furniture costs are not allowed.
- Purchase of promotional items with award funds is prohibited.
The Use of Appropriated Funds for Educational (Promotional) Items
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has developed a new policy that promotes the Administration’s commitment to act in a fiscally responsible manner by minimizing our administrative costs to perform our mission-critical functions in the most efficient, cost-effective way. It is the Department’s policy that appropriated funds not be used to pay for promotional items. Promotional items include, but are not limited to: clothing and commemorative items such as pens, mugs/cups, folders/folios, lanyards,and conference bags that are sometimes provided to visitors, employees, grantees, or conference attendees. Typically, items or tokens to be given to individuals are considered personal gifts for which appropriated funds may not be expended.
Period of Performance
Awards will be made within three weeks of application for activities held May 1, 2011 – April 30, 2015.
Selection of exhibits will reflect NN/LM SE/A outreach initiatives and target populations identified for the particular contract year.
An exhibit reporting form must be completed for each meeting. If a training session is held, an outreach reporting form must be included. The report must be received at the SE/A office within 15 days after the exhibit concludes. The form(s) will be provided prior to the session.
Publication and Publicity
The awardee shall acknowledge the support of the National Library of Medicine whenever publicizing the work under this award in any media by including an acknowledgment substantially as follows:
This project has been funded in whole or in part with Federal funds from the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, under Contract No. HHS-N-276-2011-00004-C with the University of Maryland Baltimore.
NIH Policy on Enhancing Public Access to Archived Publications Resulting from NIH-Funded Research
As of April 7, 2008, final peer-reviewed manuscripts arising from NIH funds must be submitted to PubMed Central upon acceptance for publication. The NIH Public Access Policy at http://publicaccess.nih.gov/policy.htm ensures that the public has access to the published results of NIH funded research. It requires scientists to submit final peer-reviewed journal manuscripts that arise from NIH funds to the digital archive PubMed Central (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/) upon acceptance for publication. To help advance science and improve human health, the Policy requires that these papers (http://publicaccess.nih.gov/FAQ.htm#b1) are accessible to the public on PubMed Central no later than 12 months after publication. The NIH Public Access site should be consulted for additional information: http://publicaccess.nih.gov/policy.htm.
Authors that publish NIH-supported, peer-reviewed articles in full PMC-participating journals (such as the Journal of the Medical Library Association) have fulfilled their obligations to NIH Public Access and have nothing else to do.
If an NIH-supported peer-review article is published in a non-PMC journal, the final manuscript must be submitted to PMC via the NIH Manuscript Submission System (NIHMS). If the author was supported by an NIH contract, and the contract details are not available for selection in the NIHMS, the author should contact the NIHMS Help Desk to have this information added to the system. This lets the NIHMS Help Desk correlate requests with specific manuscript numbers and specific users, and helps us resolve the issue faster.
The NIHMS Help Desk will need the following information:
- Contact number: HHS-N-276-2011-00004-C
- Contract title/name: National Network of Libraries of Medicine
- Awarding NIH institution: National Library of Medicine
Cost Proposal Information
All awards issued under the Prime NLM Contract are subject to the Government’s availability of funds in compliance of Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 52.232-18, Availability of Funds.
The Government’s obligation under this contract is contingent upon the availability of appropriated funds from which payment for contract purposes can be made. No legal liability on the part of the Government for any payment may arise until funds are made available to the Contracting Officer for this contract and until the Contractor receives notice of such availability, to be confirmed in writing by the Contracting Officer.
For information or application materials contact our office at 410-706-2855.