Data Privacy Month
January 28th through February 28th is Data Privacy Month (DPM). This month is designed to raise awareness and empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint. As we move to a more mobile, connected, and always-on society the increasing amount of data being shared can put your privacy at risk. By taking proactive measures everyone can more easily control their data and information.
StaySafeOnline.org is a resource site with information and tips for securing your data online.
According to the 2013 National Online Safety Study:
- 14% of American use one password or PIN across all online accounts,
- 58% say they have three or more passwords and PINs across their online accounts,
- Nearly 19% said they had never changed their password or PIN without prompting,
- Fewer than 30% reported changing their password or PIN without prompting within the past month.
Using the principles of Stop.Think.Connect are just one way to help you remain aware and safe online.
- STOP: Before you use the Internet, take time to understand the risks and learn how to spot potential problems.
- THINK: Take a moment to be certain the path ahead is clear. Watch for warning signs and consider how your actions online could impact your safety, or your family’s.
- CONNECT: Enjoy the Internet with greater confidence, knowing you’ve taken the right steps to safeguard yourself and your computer.