Call for Applications: NLM/AAHSL Leadership Fellows Program
The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) is pleased to announce the 2011-2012 year of the leadership program jointly sponsored by the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and AAHSL. The NLM/AAHSL Leadership Fellows Program is focused on preparing emerging leaders for the position of library director in academic health sciences libraries.
Fellows will have the opportunity to develop their knowledge and skills in a variety of learning settings, including exposure to leadership in another environment. They will be paired with mentors who are academic health sciences library directors. In addition to the individual relationship with their mentors, fellows benefit from working collaboratively with other fellows and mentors. Experienced program faculty and mentors will provide content and facilitation for the cohort. The program takes advantage of flexible scheduling and an online learning community to minimize disruption to professional and personal schedules. The sponsors will provide financial support for a small cohort of fellows and will underwrite travel and meeting expenses.
The program is designed to:
- Introduce fellows to leadership theory and practical tools for implementing change at organizational and professional levels;
- Introduce fellows to critical issues facing academic health sciences libraries;
- Develop meaningful professional relationships between fellows and mentors that give fellows access to career guidance and support;
- Expose fellows to another academic health sciences library and its institutional leadership under the guidance of their mentors;
- Examine career development and provide models of directors to fellows;
- Create a cohort of leaders who will draw upon each other for support throughout their careers;
- Promote diversity in the leadership of the profession; and
- Offer recognition to emerging leaders and enhance the competitive standing of fellows as they pursue director positions.
Deadline for Applications is August 1, 2011
For more information about the program, please contact Carolyn Lipscomb, Program Manager, AAHSL Future Leadership Committee.