NNLM PSR Reading Club Kit
The NNLM Reading Club is a “ready-to-use” fiction and nonfiction book list and health information resource. The Reading Club is designed to offer a program-in-a-box to help raise awareness about NNLM programs and to help libraries support health literacy and the health information needs in their communities. The book kits can be used in conjunction with selected National Health Observances or at any time during the year. Currently, we have selections for LGBTQ+ Pride Month (June), Mental Health Month (May), American Heart Month (February), and Family Health History Month (November).
A standard NNLM Reading Club Book Kit includes:
- 8 books
- 8 bookmarks
- 8 discussion guides
- 8 NIH MedlinePlus Magazines
- 8 NIH All of Us Research Program brochures
- 8 reading club book bags
- 1 large tote to hold the whole kit
Kits can be use as part of a library-led book discussion, or the kit can be added to the collection for circulation. Some libraries build additional health programming around the topic. We would love to hear how you use your kit!
Any library in the Pacific Southwest region that is a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine is eligible to apply and to receive one NNLM Reading Club Book. Due to the limited supply of the NNLM Reading Club Book Kits, libraries that support outreach to vulnerable populations as identified in the NIH Underrepresented in Biomedical Research criteria receive priority status. Learn more about free membership on the NNLM PSR Members page.
The NNLM Reading Club Book Kits are made available with federal funds from the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the NIH All of Us Research Program. By submitting an application and receiving the kit as a mini-award, you agree to promote NLM resources and raise awareness of the NIH All of Us Research Program by distributing the included handouts, bookmarks and brochures. About eight weeks after receipt of the book kit, you also will be asked to complete a short survey about the NNLM Reading Club. For replenishing the handouts, materials are available for free download and on request. For questions about the kit or to order additional materials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request a Kit
To apply and see videos, resource guides and materials to accompany the book kits, visit the NNLM Reading Club page at https://nnlm.gov/all-of-us/nnlm-reading-club
June - LGBTQ Pride Month
- Little & Lion: A Novel by Brandy Colbert
- Mama's Boy: A Story from Our Americas by Dustin Lance Black
- This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
May - Mental Health Month
- Everything Here is Beautiful: A Novel by Mira T. Lee
- Rx: A Graphic Memoir by Rachel Lindsay
- Gorilla and the Bird: A Memoir of Madness and a Mother's Love by Zack McDermott
February - American Heart Month
- Heart: A History by Sandeep Jauhar
- Beautiful Affliction by Lene Fogelberg
- This Heart of Mine: a Novel by C.C. Hunter
November - Family Health History Month
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- It's All Relative: Adventures Up and Down the World's Family Tree by A.J. Jacobs
- She Has Her Mother's Laugh: The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity by Carl Zimmer