NLM Funds Seven New Disaster Health Information Outreach and Collaboration Projects!
For the second year, NLM has funded seven projects for partnerships between libraries and organizations that have disaster-related responsibilities. The partnerships will work together to improve use of disaster medicine and public health information by librarians, health professionals, first responders, emergency planners, and others responsible for disaster preparedness response and recovery. Projects will increase the use of high-quality online resources on disaster topics, including those from the National Library of Medicine. One of the awardees is based in the Pacific Southwest Region. Congratulations to Naomi Broering at the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in San Diego, CA!
The 2012 projects are:
- Arkansas Department of Health (Little Rock, AR), in partnership with the University of Arkansas Medical Sciences Library, “Disaster Health Information for the Medical Reserve Corps of Arkansas”
- University of Miami, Louis Calder Memorial Library (Miami, FL), with the University of Miami, The William Lehman Research Center for the Department of Surgery, “Just-in-Time Mobile Training on Disaster Health Information Resources for Medical First Responders”
- Southeastern Regional Medical Center (Lumberton, NC), with the Robeson County Department of Public Health, Robeson County Emergency Management, and City of Lumberton Emergency Management, “Collaborative Partners of Robeson (CPR) Disaster Health Information Initiative”
- Western Maryland Area Health Education Center Learning Resource Center (Cumberland, MD), with the Allegany College of Maryland Health Continuing Education Department, Allegany County Health Department, Emergency Preparedness Caucus, Frostburg State University Pre-Medical Society, Garrett County Health Department, Meritus Health Medical Library and Education Department, Social Work Caucus – Allegany/Garrett Counties, Social Work Caucus – Washington County, Washington County Health Department, and the Western Maryland Health System Parish Nurse and Health Minister Program, “Safe Seniors: Appalachian Disaster and Emergency Health Information Outreach”
- MESH – Managed Emergency Surge for Healthcare, Inc. (Indianapolis, IN), with the Central Indiana Health Sciences Libraries Consortium, “MESH Healthcare Emergency Management and Informationist Working Group”
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (San Diego, CA), with the Public Health Services, Health and Human Services, County of San Diego, “Sharing Disaster Health Information”
- Georgia Health Sciences University, Robert B. Greenblatt, MD, Library (Augusta, GA), with the Georgia East Central Health District, “East Central Georgia Disaster Health Information for Public Health Partners”