The National Library of Medicine’s LinkOut filters feature provides PubMed users with connections to web-accessible resources, including full-text articles, consumer health information, and supplementary data related to a PubMed citation. PubMed users can access information for over 5,700 Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB) chemical substances via LinkOut. HSDB focuses on the toxicology of potentially hazardous chemicals.
To set up LinkOut to retrieve HSDB information:
- If you don’t already have a free MyNCBI account, create one;
- In the Filters box on your MyNCBI account page, click the “Manage filters” link;
- Click on LinkOut from the “Select Category” option;
- Click on the + next to the Chemical Information option;
- Then click on the + next to the Toxicology option;
- Check the two boxes next to HSDB–this saves these options.
Then run a search:
- Log into your MyNCBI account and go to PubMed;
- Run your search;
- On the upper right side of the results page find “Filter your results;”
- Click on the HSDB link;
- Then click on a result;
- Click on the HSDB icon. The link takes you to the HSDB record for chemical(s) mentioned in the article.
Please note that LinkOut is not available for citations marked as “In process.”