Nutrition Information Resources
Main Nutrition Resources Websites
US Department of Agriculture (USDA) - USDA is a portal for many nutrition resources.
- Dietary Guidelines
- Food Data Central
- Food Safety and Inspection Service
- What's Cooking USDA Mixing Bowl
USDA National Agricultural Library (NAL) - one of five national libraries of the United States, NAL houses one of the world's largest collections devoted to agriculture and related sciences.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - The FDA is charged with regulating food production and keeping food safe.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Nutrition - The CDC is the nation’s health protection agency that tackles the biggest health problems causing death and disability for Americans and promotes healthy and safe behaviors, communities, and environment.
- Resources and Publications
- National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Food Safety for Infants after a Disaster
- Healthy Food Environments
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals.
MedlinePlus.gov - MedlinePlus has more than 100 different pages of information on food and nutrition topics. Drugs & Supplements tab has many well-known nutrition supplements. Videos and Tools has quizzes, calculators and games related to nutrition.
- The Food Label and You US Food and Drug Admin
Amusing video covering Food Labels while spoofing CSI (Calorie Scene Investigation), and other fun approaches to nutrition. (28.47 min.)
- Don't let your food take you by surprise. Read the label! US Food and Drug Admin
A fun Public Service Announcement from the FDA! (30 secs)
- Are You Smarter Than A Food Label?
The Food Label and You: Game Show Review US FDA (4.54 minutes)
- Weight of the Nation Trailer
Trailer for HBO's Weight of the Nation. (1.32 min.)
Nutrition for Kids & Educators
- Food Hero - an initiative of the Oregon Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed)
- MyPlate Kids' Place This page includes video games and activity sheets for kids
- A Yummy Curriculum MyPlate Provides a collection of classroom materials for elementary school teachers
- Science and Our Food Supply Contains supplementary curriculum for middle and high school classrooms
- Team Nutrition - an initiative of the USDA, supports the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program
- CDC Healthy Schools - the program works with states, school systems, communities, and national partners to prevent chronic disease and promote the health and well-being of children and adolescents in schools.
- Lose a Million (Bacteria) - CDC game based on the show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?".
- FDA Nutrition Glossary Easy to use, downloadable glossary
- Vegetarian Glossary of Terms This useful glossary was developed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- MedlinePlus Food & Nutrition Provides a list of definitions and descriptions of common nutrition terms
Additional Websites & Apps
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) provides global leadership for a research, training, and education program to promote the prevention and treatment of heart, lung, and blood disorders and enhance the health of all individuals so that they can live longer and more fulfilling lives. We Can! (Ways to Enhance Children's Activity and Nutrition) is one of the NHLBI's programs and contains materials such as the Portion Distortion page.
- Best Food Facts is a website supported by the Center for Food Integrity and the Canadian Center for Food Integrity which provides objective, evidence-based information about food. Content on the website is developed by university-based scientists and the Registered Dietitian community to provide you with the science behind what's in your food.
- Food Insight is an online resource developed by the International Food Information Council IFIC Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to effectively communicating science-based information on health, nutrition and food safety for the public good. The organization has a long-standing relationship with the U.S. Department of Agriculture Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion as part of the Dietary Guidelines Alliance.
- USDA has a page of mobile apps, such as FoodKeeper and MPI Directory.
- Dietary Supplement Label Database - a joint effort of the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements and the National Library of Medicine.
- USDA MyPlate for Health Professionals
- FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER)
- CDC Food Safety for Health Professionals
- Kittler P, SucherK. Ethnic ingredients: food composition table. In: Food and Culture. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning; 2003.