Food for Thought
Interesting videos from the Federal Government
- The Food Label and You US Food and Drug Admin
Amusing YouTube video covering Food Labels while spoofing CSI (Calorie Scene Investigation), and other fun approaches to nutrition. (28.47 min.)
- Don't let your food take you by surprise. Read the label! US Food and Drug Admin
A fun Public Service Announcement from the FDA! (30 secs)
- Are You Smarter Than A Food Label?
The Food Label and You: Game Show Review US FDA (4.54 minutes)
Nutrition for Kids & Educators
Main Nutrition Resources Websites
On every good team there are players who have special skills or play a position unique to that person. For that reason, we call our four major nutrition resources “key players”. Even though they all cover nutrition information, each has something unique about it that makes it a “key” resource.
- US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
USDA is a portal for many nutrition resources.
- US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
The FDA is charged with regulating food production and keeping food safe.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The Healthy Living section on the CDC home page goes to a list of topics, including the general Nutrition page but also Food Safety, Folic Acid, Diabetes Prevention, etc.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals.
MedlinePlus has more than 100 different pages of information on food and nutrition topics. Drugs & Supplements tab has many well-known nutrition supplements. Videos and Tools has quizzes, calculators and games related to nutrition.
Websites for Nutritional Resources
ChooseMyPlate.gov is a great site with all kinds of useful information and tools. Check out the SuperTracker, which allows you to track your calorie intake, physical activity, weight and your health goals. You can evaluate if you are getting the right amount of nutrients, and you can even analyze your own recipes for calories per serving!
- UNICEF Nutrition Glossary A 15-page glossary of nutrition terms developed by UNICEF's Office of Research
- FDA Nutrition Glossary Easy to use, downloadable glossary
- Vegetarian Glossary of Terms This useful glossary was developed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- MedlinePlus Food & Nutrition Provides a list of definitions and descriptions of common nutrition terms