The Pacific Southwest region includes Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, and the U.S. Territories in the Pacific, stretching across six time zones and the International Date Line. It’s a geographically vast, and culturally, ethnically, and linguistically diverse region of great contrasts. From the bustle of Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, to the distant islands of Guam and American Samoa, the Pacific Southwest Region covers a far-flung, diverse region of 48 million people.
From its home at the UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library in Los Angeles, the Regional Medical Library works with 600 member libraries and information centers to meet the needs of the region’s population. Many people speak languages other than English or have limited English proficiency. For example, we serve Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders; Native Americans; Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese and other Asian populations; as well as millions of Spanish-speakers throughout the region. The information needs of such urban centers as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Phoenix differ greatly from those of rural areas like the Nevada frontier counties or the island communities of the Pacific.
Our Communication Channels
We offer a variety of communication channels designed to communicate to Network Members information about the National Library of Medicine, its programs & services, and the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, including membership, resource sharing, funding & employment opportunities, etc.
- Latitudes - newsletter for the NNLM Pacific Southwest Region
- NewsBits - a brief list of announcements, upcoming events & tech tips
- Midday at the Oasis - NNLM PSR's webinar series
- Facebook - NNLM PSR's social networking page
- Twitter - follow us for new information resources that you can use in research and teaching activities.
- "PSR-News" Announcement List - regional electronic mailing list
Organizations we work with such as Resource Libraries, MLA Chapters, etc.
- Resource Libraries
- Other NNLM regions
- MLA Chapters
- Hawai'i-Pacific Chapter - Hawaii, Pacific Region
- Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona - California (south of Fresno), Arizona
- Northern California and Nevada Medical Library Group - California (north of Fresno), Nevada
- State/Regional Library Organizations
- ALA and State/Regional Chapters
- American Library Association
- Arizona Library Association
- California Library Association
- Guam Library Association
- Hawaii Library Association
- Mountain Plains Library Association - Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming
- Nevada Library Association
- Directory of NNLM Network Members