Library Student Scholarship Award
Applications for a Library Student Scholarship Award can be dowloaded below and then submitted until the following deadlines:
- Until July 1, to attend the Oregon Health Sciences Libraries Association meeting (http://www.ohslaoregon.org/)
- Until July 10, to attend the Washington Medical Librarians Association meeting, (http://wmla.org/meeting/)
- Until September 10, to attend the Quint Chapter Medical Library Association meeting, (http://pnc-mla.cloverpad.org/)
Please submit the application electronically via e-mail attachment to Patricia Devine, Network Outreach Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the Library Student Scholarship Award is to offer opportunities for students enrolled in a graduate library and information science program to learn about current or emerging topics in medical librarianship by attending meetings sponsored by state or regional health science library associations in the Pacific Northwest Region.
The following Pacific Northwest Region (Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington) students are eligible for the Library Student Scholarship Award:
- Library students currently attending a graduate program in Library or Information Science (GSLIS) located in the Pacific Northwest Region (PNR); or currently residing in the PNR and attending a GSLIS program outside the Region
- Recent (2015) graduates meeting the above criteria of attendance or residence
- Current undergraduate students from tribal colleges located within the PNR who have an expressed interest in pursuing health sciences librarianship
- PNR tribal college library staff who would like to learn more about health sciences librarianship as a career option
This award is intended to cover approved expenses, up to $1,800 per student, related to conference attendance, including: registration, travel, lodging, education, and per diem. Awards will be available on an ongoing basis until funds are expended.
The following statement is required to be included in this solicitation to comply with regulations for annual appropriation of federal funds:
All awards issued under the NLM Contract with University of Washington are subject to the Government's availability of funds in compliance of Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 52.232-18, Availability of Funds. No legal liability on the part of the Government for any payment may arise until funds are made available to the Contracting Officer for this contract and until the Contractor receives notice of such availability, to be confirmed in writing by the Contracting Officer.
Award Evaluation Criteria
Applications will be evaluated on the following:
- Applicant meets the qualifications outlined in the Eligibility section
- Applicant's description of how this award could impact future career goals
- Inclusion of a well-defined plan to use the information gained from the conference with fellow library students or colleagues
Recipients are required to:
- Attend the entire event, if it is a 1-day meeting. For a multi-day meeting, attend at least 2 full days.
- Attend as many of the scientific and poster sessions as possible, if offered at the event.
- Staff the NN/LM exhibit booth for an assigned period (applicable only if attending the Pacific Northwest Chapter Medical Library Meeting).
- Follow procedures for retaining receipts for travel and lodging, excluding meals, and submit for reimbursement after the conference. Note that reimbursement for meals will be covered by a fixed per diem - it will not be necessary to retain receipts for meals.
Upon award, meeting registration fees will be paid by the PNR office. Airfare or train (coach only) can be paid in advance for the awardee by PNR, or the awardee can pay for *coach* and be reimbursed following the event. Expenses such as airfare, hotel, mileage and meals will be reimbursed based on approval of the completed budget included with application form.
Awardees will be asked to write a brief article summarizing their experience at the conference for publication in the Dragonfly, NN/LM PNR's blog.
Need additional information or help?
Patricia Devine, Network Outreach Coordinator, NN/LM PNR, email@example.com
Telephone: (206) 543-8275, or 1-800-338-7657 (within AK, ID, MT, OR, WA)