Advocacy for Librarians and Libraries
Table of Contents
Resources from the NN/LM and NLM
- Resources for Hospital Librarians on Communicating Their Value. Workshop materials for the class, Measuring Your Impact: Using Evaluation for Library Advocacy.
- Resources for Hospital Librarians from the NN/LM Southeastern/Atlantic Region. This LibGuide is a toolkit for hospital librarians.
- Hospital Library Promotional Toolkit from the NN/LM New England Region. The toolkit was designed by the Hospital Library Subcommittee of the NN/LM NER's Regional Advisory Committee (RAC).
- Marketing and Justifying the Library. Links to books, articles and full text web sites that focus on marketing and justifying the library.
- Valuing Library Services Calculator. A medical library calculator from Betsy Kelly, Evaluation Coordinator, NN/LM MidContinental Region. Calculate what your library is worth to your institution.
- Library Cost Benefit and Return-on-Investment (ROI) Calculator. Another calculator from Betsy Kelly that helps you determine what your library contributes to the bottom line.
- Titles held in the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on advocacy, marketing and valuing your library:
- Dudden, Rosalind Farnam. Using Benchmarking, Needs Assessment, Quality Improvement, Outcome Measurement, and Library Standards. New York, NY: Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc. 2007.
- Matthews, Joseph R. The Bottom Line: Determining and Communicating the Value of the Special Library. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2002.
- Seiss, Judith. The Visible Librarian: Asserting Your Value Through Marketing and Advocacy. Chicago, IL: American Library Association, 2003.
Additional books are available through the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on evaluation, library management and other topics relevant to advocacy.
Resources from MLA and other library organizations
- Vital Pathways for Hospital Librarians. A task force is charged to develop an action plan for MLA to " influence hospital decision-makers and key leaders in the health care field."
- Hospital Libraries Section of the Medical Library Association. This is the largest and oldest of MLA's many special interest sections. One of its stated purposes is "to promote the interests and act upon the concerns of hospital libraries and librarians". The sections quarterly newsletter, National Network, is an excellent source of ideas and information from hospital library colleagues.
- Standards for Hospital Libraries. in J Med Libr Assoc 96(2) April 2008
- Expert Searching Skills. The role of Role of Expert Searching in Health Sciences Libraries: Defintions, impact, background.
- Communicate your expertise: Tips and Tactics to showcase your value. (MLA Members Only). Build awareness of your role as a highly skilled knowledge manager, build respect for your professionalism, your skills, and most importantly, your critical contributions to patient care, research, education, and knowledge management.
National and Regional Library organizations
- Special Libraries Association