The mission of the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM) is to advance the progress of medicine and improve the public health by:
- Providing all U.S. health professionals with equal access to biomedical information.
- Improving the public's access to information to enable them to make informed decisions about their health.
The Program is coordinated by the National Library of Medicine and carried out through a nationwide network of health science libraries and information centers. Regional Network Offices of the NNLM administer and coordinate services in the Network's eight geographical regions.
The NNLM goals for the Network focus on improving the public's access to health information and developing national programs and collaborations to achieve these goals. The goals are:
- To develop collaborations among Network members and other organizations to improve access to and sharing of biomedical information resources throughout the nation.
- To promote awareness of, access to, and use of biomedical information resources for health professionals and the public, with a particular emphasis on contributing to the Healthy People 2020 goal of eliminating health disparities.
- To develop, promote, and improve electronic access to health information by Network members, health professionals, and organizations providing health information to the public.
Priorities for the NNLM PNR Program during 2016-2021
- Network member participation will be enhanced with new member organizations from community college and public libraries that support health-related collections; regional organizations reaching underserved health providers and the public health workforce; and data organizations.
- Subawards will be funded for projects by libraries, public health, research and community-based organizations in order to accomplish the NNLM mission and goals throughout the region.
- New roles of the information professional in research data management and data literacy will be promoted
- The continuing education and training of librarians, researchers, health care providers, and the public health workforce will be supported through a variety of courses appropriate to the NNLM mission.