The mission of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) is to advance the progress of medicine and improve the public health by:
- Providing all U.S. health professionals with equal access to biomedical information.
- Improving the public's access to information to enable them to make informed decisions about their health.
The Program is coordinated by the National Library of Medicine and carried out through a nationwide network of health science libraries and information centers. Regional Network Offices of the NN/LM administer and coordinate services in the Network's eight geographical regions.
The NN/LM goals for the Network focus on improving the public's access to health information and developing national programs and collaborations to achieve these goals. The goals are:
- To develop collaborations among Network members and other organizations to improve access to and sharing of biomedical information resources throughout the nation.
- To promote awareness of, access to, and use of biomedical information resources for health professionals and the public, with a particular emphasis on contributing to the Healthy People 2020 goal of eliminating health disparities.
- To develop, promote, and improve electronic access to health information by Network members, health professionals, and organizations providing health information to the public.
Priorities for the NN/LM PNR Program during 2016-2021
- Network member participation will be enhanced with new member organizations from community college and public libraries that support health-related collections; regional organizations reaching underserved health providers and the public health workforce; and data organizations.
- Subawards will be funded for projects by libraries, public health, research and community-based organizations in order to accomplish the NN/LM mission and goals throughout the region.
- New roles of the information professional in research data management and data literacy will be promoted
- The continuing education and training of librarians, researchers, health care providers, and the public health workforce will be supported through a variety of courses appropriate to the NN/LM mission.