It is an on-going process of building partnerships so that others will act for and with you, turning passive support into educated action for the library program. It begins with a vision and a plan for the library program that is then matched to the agenda and priorities of stakeholders.
- American Association of School Librarians (Advocacy Committee)
Tools and Downloadable Resources
Calculators - maintained by NNLM Mid-Continental Regions (MCR)
- Cost Benefit and ROI Calculator: business calculator examining cost benefits and the return on investment
- Valuing Library Services Calculator: business calculator focusing on the value of library resources and services
- Advocacy Toolkit - maintained by SLA (Special Libraries Association)
- Marketing the Academic Library - maintained by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Why You Should Support Your Local Library Infographic - posted on EdTech, 19 Feb 2014
- How Libraries Stack Up: 2010 - OCLC has created a colorful, graphic report of information that may help libraries as they develop budget reports and discuss the value of public libraries in their communities (State Library of Iowa)
Research on Library Value
- Value of Library and Information Services in Patient Care Study - This research repeats the pivotal Rochester Study and was planned and coordinated through the Middle Atlantic Region of the NN/LM around 2009.
- Advocacy - Maintained by the Medical Library Association (MLA)
- Advocacy - Maintained by the Public Library Association (PLA)
- I Love Libraries - Supporting one of our nation's most important resources - An initiative of the American Library Association (ALA)
- Library Advocacy Resources- Libraries will find documents and videos which have been collected to help aid in advocacy efforts - Maintained by SELCO: Southeastern Libraries Cooperating
Planning and Evaluation
Information can be found at the SEA Planning and Evaluation Methods/Grant and Proposal Writing page.