Health Information for Public Librarians Symposium
The National Network of Libraries of Medicine is offering stipends of up to $500 to support travel and lodging to attend the Health Information for Public Libraries Symposium. Stipends are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis with an emphasis on equal distribution across the nation.
Public library staff employed in the U.S. and U.S. territories are encouraged to apply.
The application deadline has passed. If you have registered for the symposium but did not get a chance to fill out an application please contact Miles Dietz-Castel at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the symposium:
Public librarians are invited to participate in a symposium on Health Information for Public Libraries presented concurrent with the Medical Library Association (MLA) annual meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. The symposium is organized by MLA in collaboration with the Public Library Association (PLA), the Greater Midwest Region (GMR) of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM), and members of the MLA Consumer and Public Health Information Section (CAPHIS).
There is no registration fee for attending the symposium. Registration deadline is Friday, May 4th.
Symposium Learning Objectives:
- Understand how advances in precision medicine are affecting the need for public health information and learn about the All-of-Us objectives
- Understand the competencies for Public Health Information, self-assess, and create a personal development plan
- Connect health sciences librarians with public librarians involved in health information
- Learn about available resources for learning, networking, and outreach, including from MLA, PLA, and NNLM
- Overcome barriers to providing health information to the public
- Learn what others are doing to engage the public in health information
- Learn about national strategies and trends in areas of health disparities, social determinants of health, disease control, and prevention
For more information about the symposium, please see information available on MLA’s website.