Here you will find information and links to research projects, reports and other materials that pertain to research about Data Information Literacy (DIL).
- Implementing a Graduate-Level Research Data Management Course: Approach, Outcomes, and Lessons Learned. (2015) Whitmire, A. L., Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication Vol. 3, no. 2. doi:10.7710/2162-3309.1246.
- Planting the Seeds for Data Literacy: Lessons Learned from a Student-Centered Education Program. (2015) Jake Carlson, Marianne Stowell Bracke, International Journal of Digital Curation, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 95-110. doi:10.2218/ijdc.v10i1.348
- Developing Professional Skills in STEM Students: Data Information Literacy. (2014) Ziliniski, L., Sapp Nelson, M., & Van Epps, A. Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship, Summer 2014. DOI:10.5062/F42V2D2Z.
- Data Management Skills Needed by Structural Engineering Students: A Case Study at the University of Minnesota. (2013) Johnston, L. and Jeffryes, J., J. Prof. Issues Eng. Educ. Pract., 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000154.
- Data Management Training for Graduate Students at a Large Research University. (2012) Adamick, Jessica; Reznik-Zellen, Rebecca C.; and Sheridan, Matt. Journal of eScience Librarianship 1(3): Article 8. DOI:10.7191/jeslib.2012.1022. A case study of developing workshops to teach data management basics and more advaced topics at UMass - Amherst.
- Lessons learned from a two year experience in Science Data Literacy education. (2010) Describes authors’ experience and lessons learned from teaching a Science Data Management course at Syracuse University to undergraduate and graduate science and technology students.
- Data Information Literacy and Undergraduates: A Critical Competency. (2015) Shorish, Yasmeen. College & Undergraduate Libraries. 22(1), 97-106. (Open Access version)
- Data literacy: in search of a name and identity. (2015) Journal of Documentation, Vol. 71 Iss: 2, pp.401-415, DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JD-02-2014-0026.
- Determining data information literacy needs: A study of students and research faculty. (2011) Carlson, J., Fosmire, M., Miller, C., & Sapp Nelson, M. portal: Libraries and the Academy, 11(2), 629-657. (Open Access version)
- Incorporating Data Literacy into Information Literacy Programs: Core Competencies and Contents. (Jun 2013) Dr. Javier Calzada Prado and Dr. Miguel Ángel Marzal discuss the need for library standards on data information literacy that are widely applicable beyond a specific context. They review the literature on data information literacy and from their review form a list of core competencies for data literacy instruction. The link is to the publication in the journal Libri. An open access version is available here.
- Navigating the Landscape of Data Literacy: It IS Complex. (2012) A white paper report that seeks to produce an operational definition of data literacy through analyzing existing definitions and consulting a variety experts in data-driven decision making.
- Implementing a graduate-level data information literacy curriculum at Oregon State University: approach, outcomes and lessons learned. (2014) Whitmire, Amanda L., 6th Annual University of Massachusetts & New England Area Librarian e-Science Symposium. Paper 7.
- Developing a Data Management Curriculum for Graduate Students in the Natural Resources. (2014) Wright, Sarah J and Camille Andrews, 6th Annual University of Massachusetts & New England Area Librarian e-Science Symposium. Paper 8.
- Developing a data management lab: Teaching effective methods for health and social sciences research. (2013) Coates, Heather L., Data Information Literacy Symposium.