Service Continuity Class–Register Now!
NER has been talking about Emergency Preparedness for the last few years. We’ve visited with members at their association meetings (MAHSLIN, HSLIC, SEMCO, ARIHSL, NAHSL) and presented on the different resources available to put together a preparedness plan.
NER conducted an assessment of members’ activities in preparedness planning, here are some figures:
- 76% of you reported not having a preparedness plan
- 84% of you indicated you’d be interested in assistance in developing continuity of service plans.
As part of its battery of training and professional development opportunities being offered this winter, NER is announcing a course on Developing Your Library Continuity of Service Plan.
Through the course we hope to assist NER members in developing their own plans for handling emergencies. The course is designed to meet via Adobe Connect sessions–many of you have already participated in our other Connecting with the NER sessions. The course will follow a 10-Step Process to Service Continuity Planning developed by the NN/LM National Coordinator. To provide an opportunity for librarians to work together, the class will also use the Moodle online learning platform as a collaborative virtual space for working through exercises and Steps that will serve to help build your own Service Continuity Plan
Here are the details:
- Adobe Connect Session 1: January 27th
- Adobe Connect Session 2: February 11th
- Adobe Connect Session 3: Feb 24th
- Adobe Connect Session 4: March 4th
Sessions will start at 2:00p.m. and may last until 3:30.
Adobe Connect Session will also operate with an audio telephone conferencing system
- Participants will be introduced to the basic elements of a service continuity plan.
- Participants will learn how to:
· Conduct a risk assessment
· Assure personal safety
· Identify core services and resources
· Plan for remote service and resource provision
· Identify print and unique resources and prioritize resource recovery
- Participants will be able to develop and complete a service continuity plan for their own library.
8 MLA CE Credits have been approved!.
Javier and Penny will be the course instructors. The course is only available to NER member libraries. As with all NER offerings, the course is free of charge.
Participants will need access to workstations that enable the use of Adobe Connect as well as be able to telephone into the conferencing system.
To register, please contact Martha Pearson at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email please include: Your name, institution address with phone number and zip code and the name of the course (Developing Your Library Continuity of Service Plan).
Details on how to access the teleconference and Adobe Connect session will be forwarded upon registration.
Act fast and spread the word!