Mission and Goals
The mission of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) is to advance the progress of medicine and improve the public health by providing all U.S. health professionals equal access to biomedical information and by improving the public's access to information to enable them to make informed decisions about their health.
In alignment with the mission and goals of the NNLM, NER implements and maintains a broad range of programs and services within Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. NER programs are centered on the provision of ongoing opportunities for feedback and communication among Network members, potential members, NER staff, and the National Library of Medicine. NER priorities include the following to reach these missions:
- The existing network structure will continue to be enhanced to include multi-type libraries, especially public libraries and community college libraries that support health-related collections;
- Health professionals, consumers, public librarians, and other representatives from the user groups served by NER will be involved in the planning and advisory components of the Regional Network;
- A decentralized approach to planning, utilizing committees and working groups, involving as many network members as possible, from all levels of the Regional Network will be employed;
- A well-designed, multi-faceted approach to creating meaningful linkages between unaffiliated health professionals, consumers, community-based organizations, public health departments and libraries will be developed;
- Subcontracts and awards for outreach projects with health sciences libraries partnered with public health departments, public libraries and community-based organizations will be implemented in order to distribute funding and accomplish missions, goals, and objectives throughout the region;
- Electronic methods of document delivery and other information services will be encouraged in order to demonstrate the benefits of information technology through statewide projects involving small hospital libraries and larger academic libraries using a variety of technologies;
- The continuing education and training of health care providers, health sciences librarians, and public librarians will be supported by designing and offering a variety of courses that support NLM resources and products.