About the New England Region
The University of Massachusetts Medical School, Lamar Soutter Library, serves as the Regional Medical Library (RML) for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, New England Region (NN/LM, NER) under a 5-year contract with the National Library of Medicine. The NER is one of eight regions in the NN/LM and includes Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
Our role is to support the efforts of the National Library of Medicine for this region to provide all U.S. health professionals with equal access to biomedical information and improve the public's access to information so they can make informed decisions about their health.
To accomplish this, NER forms partnerships with libraries and other organizations, and offers a variety of in-person and online training for health professionals, community organizations, health information centers, and public, hospital and academic medical libraries. Additionally, the NER provides funding opportunities to assist regional libraries and information centers in educating and supporting unaffiliated health professionals and consumers in their local areas.
Our outreach efforts are directed towards libraries, health professionals and consumers. Throughout the 2016-2021 contract, our role is to develop, fund, and manage a variety of outreach awards that support programs to:
- Strengthen the existing network structure to enhance multi-type libraries, especially public libraries and community college libraries that support health-related collections.
- Continue to reach under-served health professionals in rural and inner city areas, public health professionals, and special populations.
- Involve health professionals, consumers, public librarians, and other representatives from the user groups served by NER in the planning and advisory components of the Regional Network.
- Improve health through access to reliable information for consumer groups, including soldiers, veterans and their families, senior citizens, caregivers, K-12 schools, and community-based organizations.
- Continue education and training of health care providers, health sciences librarians, and public librarians that will be supported with a variety of courses that support NLM resources and products.