Research & Data Management
Data Science Supporting Biomedical Research
Research & Data Management is concerned with the expansion of library services to include the management, curation, and dissemination of locally produced data sets resulting from large and small scale research. Research & Data Management describes the collaboration among computationally intensive science disciplines that create data sets that are captured, transported, stored, organized, accessed, mined, visualized, and interpreted in order to extract knowledge.
Watch more about Research Data Management: Data Sharing and Management Snafu in 3 Short Acts by NYU Health Sciences Library
The Research & Data Management role for librarians is characterized by interdisciplinary research collaboration and the collection, organization, and management of data. Responses to an Research & Data Management needs assessment conducted in August 2009 show that 2/3 of respondents work in libraries that do not provide Research & Data Management related services. However, almost one half of the respondents to the assessment can identify opportunities within their institutions for their libraries to participate in Research & Data Management information services. Respondents expressed a strong interest in Research & Data Management but identified a need for continuing education in science, digital curation, and library roles.
Therefore, the Research & Data Management Program was started in order to provide various modes of learning about Research & Data Management principles, working concepts, and skills. The Research & Data Management initiative helps stimulate librarians and information professionals involved in the application of Research & Data Management practices. Activities such as the annual Symposium and Boot Camp offer opportunities for in-person formal learning modes.
The current initiatives of the NNLM New England Region Research & Data Management Program include:
- Provide a regional infrastructure supporting data literacy, data management, and data curation
- Provide web-based resources and curricular opportunities for librarians to retool their skills in data literacy, data management, data curation, and data preservation activities
- Provide web-based resources and educational opportunities for researchers to learn data management best practices
- Increase awareness amongst New England area librarians and researchers about Research & Data Management and how librarians support biomedical research
- Collaboratively work with Network Members to support access to print and electronic biomedical and health information throughout the region
- Provide and administer a funding program to support the access to biomedical and health information and data management programs described in this core
In order to meet these program goals, a regional Advisory Board and supporting committees will drive the advancement of the Research & Data Management Program. These science and medical librarian experts within New England and other regions understand the needs of information professionals as well as other members of the research community.