Data Curation / Management Journal Club - PNR
3 months/4 hours per month
Seeking members for the Data Curation/Management Journal Club – Pacific Northwest Region!
This year, the NN/LM PNR is starting a journal club with the purpose of helping club members understand big data and identify roles librarians can play in data management and curation in clinical settings. The Data Curation/Management Journal Club is for librarians and others who are interested in learning more about data and its impact on health information access and care improvement. Priority for participation goes to those residing in the Pacific Northwest Region.
This journal club will use both the MLA's Discussion Group Program structure along with the new PubMed Commons Journal Clubs (PCJC) structure. Eight hours MLA CE credit is available for members who participate in all four live discussions. Partial credit is not available.
The Data Club Schedule and Membership Terms
Meetings will be held online (in real time) via Adobe Connect or WebEx on Mondays at 3:00 p.m., PST. See the agenda below. Meeting notes, articles, and discussion will be hosted on Moodle.
Data Club Members agree to:
- Review orientation materials posted in Moodle.
- Plan on committing 2 hours per article (1 hour to read article and prep for discussion and 1 hour at attend the live meetings) per each of the 4 meetings.
- Be agreeable to facilitating or co-facilitating discussion on a select article.
- Be willing to take notes during a presentation.
- Be an active contributor to the discussions on select articles.
- Be willing to share resources and knowledge with other Club members.
- Be willing to contribute to a final project (similar to a PubMed Commons entry) by writing an article for the Dragonfly newsletter (to be determined by Club members)
Orientation: January 20-22
Article selection, co-presenter arrangements, and assignments: January 25-29
Online session 1: Monday, Feb 8, 3PM PST
Online session 2: Monday, Feb 22, 3PM PST
Online session 3: Monday, March 7, 3PM PST
Online session 4: Monday, March 21, 3PM PST
Group project article: Online, March 22 - April 1
Evaluations: April 4-8
- The orientation materials in Moodle will go over the club details and get members started and squared away.
- Depending on how many people enroll (up to 12), there may be opportunities to co-present, or to work on the group project instead of taking notes. This will be arranged via Moodle.
- Club members will select the papers to be discussed. All papers must follow the theme of data curation/management and its impact on health information access and care improvement.
The structure of the Data Club will use both the MLA's Discussion Group Program structure along with the new PubMed Commons Journal Clubs (PCJC) structure.
The basic outline for the Data Club is:
1. Meet once per month on Adobe Connect. Summary of each session will be noted in Moodle. The first session will be Alicia talking a few minutes about her experience at a recent data conference along with the following topics.
a. An overview of big data in health
b. An overview of MLA's Discussion Group Program structure
c. An overview of PCJC structure
d. An overview of some resources for finding qualifying articles and how to determine which article to review
2. General monthly meetings will discuss one article facilitated by one or two journal club members.
3. Club members will determine which articles we will submit for a final project.