NN/LM MCR 2013-2014 Objectives
As part of the MidContinental Region’s contract negotiation with the National Library of Medicine, we develop a list of objectives for the year. We want you to know what to expect from us too! The following is a list of our intended objectives for 2013-2014. The objectives encompass services to our Network members as well as our outreach services. These objectives are also on our web site.
Assessment and Evaluation
- Assess needs of health sciences librarians and other organizations in the Region for NLM and NN/LM products and services and share data with NLM and NN/LM.
- Monitor and evaluate NN/LM MCR programs to assess their effectiveness in improving access to health information.
- Inform NLM of regional, state, and local activities that contribute to improved connectivity, access and health information resources as a result of NN/LM MCR programs.
- Prepare reports for NLM site visit and participate in the NER site visit team.
- Reconstitute Regional Advisory Board and assess the impact of the Board on RML programming and the experience of Board members.
- Work with Resource libraries, including signing and monitoring implementation of subcontracts for basic services, and assess Resource Library and Coordinator experiences.
- Develop and teach a class for faith community nurses.
- Write and distribute articles for faith community nurses.
- Manage and promote EBSCO E-Book collection.
- Develop resources and train members on preparing continuity of service plans.
- Investigate opportunities for librarians to become expert searchers.
- Promote history of medicine resources within the region.
- Offer “Measuring your Impact” class online.
- Identify and contribute classes to the MLA Educational Clearinghouse.
- Provide training on NLM and NN/LM resources and tools.
- Submit program proposals at local, regional, state, or national events.
- Use the RML communication tools to promote education opportunities.
- Provide training on NLM and NN/LM resources and tools to public library audiences.
- Teach technology classes and learning sessions.
- Establish a work group to research e-science current practices for librarians and prepare an article for publication.
Health Information Literacy
- Award public libraries who have had the best K-12/public library partnerships involving health information.
- Contribute to “Bringing Health Information to the Community” blog.
- Exhibit at local, regional, state or national events.
- Become further involved in the Health Care Education Association.
- Promote the use of NLM resources to support K-12 school health curriculum.
- Inform refugee health staff about multiple language resources.
- Encourage and/or support health information literacy collaborations that reach other networks and relevant organizations.
- Maintain state library collaborations.
- Provide resources for librarians to support and improve their business practices in the hospital setting.
- Support librarians to become change agents in their institutions in health information literacy.
- Support librarians to become involved in patient safety activities in their institutions.
- Investigate the value of librarian services in the cost of patient care.
- Support member librarians and libraries through publications appropriate for and communications with health care organization administrators.
- Working group members contribute gaming paths for the region.
- Conduct drills or exercises to test the continuity of service plans on a regular basis.
- Involve Network members in RML activities.
- Manage portions of the NN/LM Resource Sharing Plan.
- Provide consultations and assist Network members in developing strategies that address barriers to access.
- Support the appropriate personnel at Community College Health Information Technology (HIT) institutions to integrate evidence based medicine and consumer health information into their program offerings.
- Investigate and implement communication technologies.
- Regularly monitor and disseminate technology developments.
- Process data and report on the community based organization
- under-connected pilot project.
- Maintain NN/LM MCR web site.