Diagnostic Error and Librarians: What’s the Connection?
Did you know:
- Diagnostic error happens between 5 – 15% of the time. (Berner and Graber 2008)
- Diagnostic error is the #1 cause of medical misadventure claims for all primary care specialties. (SIDM)
- A Harvard study showed diagnostic error accounting for 17% of adverse events. (Leape, Brennan 1991)
- Diagnostic error was the #1 cause of claims in ambulatory care and #2 in hospitals (after improper performance of a procedure). (Bishop etal JAMA 2011)
- Diagnostic errors are the leading type of insurance claim paid (28.6%) and accounted for 35.2% of total insurance payments.
- The inflation adjusted, 25-year sum of diagnosis-related payments was $38.8 billion.
If you are interested in finding out how these statistics are related to the practice of librarianship, come to MCMLA 2013 and attend the CE class “Applying Information Expertise to the Challenge of Diagnostic Error Reduction” (bbj)