Dear Members with an interest in exploring their role in big data in healthcare –
Please consider taking advantage of this opportunity…
New online class offering – Big Data in Healthcare: Exploring Emerging Roles
The National Network of Librarians of Medicine (NNLM), Mid-Continental Region (MCR) and Southeastern/Atlantic (SEA) Regions invites you to this 9 week, self-paced, asynchronous course to help health sciences librarians understand the issues of big data in clinical outcomes and what roles health sciences librarians can take on in this service area.
Big Data in Healthcare: Exploring Emerging Roles
February 27 – April 28, 2017
Description: The Big Data in Healthcare: Exploring Emerging Roles course will help health sciences librarians understand the issues of big data in clinical outcomes and what roles health sciences librarians can take on in this service area. This course is taught in Moodle and is a semi-self-paced course (“semi” meaning there will be completion deadlines). Course content comes from information shared by the presenters at the “Using Data to Improve Clinical Patient Outcomes” forum, top picks from the NNLM MCR and PSR Data Curation/Management Journal Club articles, and completion of the course “Big Data Fundamentals” from the Big Data University.
Objectives: Students who successfully complete the course will:
- Explain the role that big data plays in clinical patient outcomes.
- Illustrate the fundamentals of big data from a systems perspective.
- Articulate their views/options on the role health sciences sector librarians are to support big data initiatives. (Students are encouraged to publish their views on one of the NNLM MCR or SEA publications as part of a dialog with the wider health sciences librarian community engaging in this topic).
Students who sign up for this course agree to:
- Commit to spend the full 9 contact hours learning about and articulating their views on the course topic (this includes the 1.5 contact hours from the Big Data University’s course).
- Complete the course requirements by the deadline establish in each course offering.
- Provide course feedback (strengths/weaknesses) on the MLA Online Course Evaluation form.
This is a Medical Library Association approved course that will earn students 9 contact hours.
To register for this class, please visit: https://nnlm.gov/class/big-data-healthcare-exploring-emerging-roles/7070. Please note that our new class registration system requires obtaining a free NNLM account prior to registration. Learn how to register for classes from the NNLM Training Office.
This class is limited to the first 30 registrants. Afterwards we will take a wait list.
Please contact John Bramble at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tony Nguyen at email@example.com with questions.