Network Membership Information
The National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) has two categories of Network membership; Regular members and DOCLINE participating members. Both are able to take advantage of the many benefits the NN/LM has to offer.
If you value having access to a wealth of resources and people along with tools that help keep you up to date on health information and health information access, consider having your organization become a Network member!
Network Member Benefits
- Eligibility for health information access project funding.
- Access to a variety of training opportunities for librarians, health professionals, and consumers.
- The opportunity to partner with other health sciences libraries or health-related information centers.
- Access to DOCLINE®, the interlibrary loan system used by health sciences libraries (Full members only).
- The opportunity to provide input on regional NN/LM programs and services.
- Access to the latest health related news and information.
- A certificate recognizing your institution's NN/LM membership.
Network Member Requirements
Membership in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine is free but there are conditions to participate. Each NN/LM member institution, regardless of category, must agree to make basic contributions as follows:
- To designate at least one local contact from the Network member institution to receive communiques from the NN/LM MCR (e.g. telephone calls, mail, direct email, etc.).
- To be listed in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Membership Directory.
- To provide basic, current information on services to by updating their Institutional record on a yearly basis.
DOCLINE Participant Requirements
Is regularly staffed. Checking DOCLINE requests being sent to your library or information resource center daily (Monday-Friday) is required.
- Has at least one local contact from the Network member institution to receive communiques from the NN/LM MCR (e.g., telephone calls, mail, direct email, etc.).
- Has access to the Internet.
- Has its own lendable collection of health sciences materials such as current biomedical journals, books, audiovisuals, and/or electronic databases.
- Provides information services, including collection sharing through the DOCLINE® system* and provides information services to health professionals and/or the general public (e.g., answering or referring reference questions and performing information searches).
*Reciprocal borrowing though the DOCLINE® system is a key responsibility for Full Network members of the NN/LM MCR. Other responsibilities can be found in the NN/LM Resource Sharing Plan.
Have a minimum of 20 current biomedical journals that are accurately reflected in their Serial Holdings records and can be loaned to other Network members using DOCLINE®.
- Promptly respond to DOCLINE® requests based on the time-triggered schedule from the requesting Network member.
- Be lenders as well as borrowers.
- Network member institution will set the out-of-office schedule when unable to respond to DOCLINE® requests for more than two consecutive days by requesting a temporary hold on their DOCLINE® account.
- Network member institution will set the ILL schedule that indicates days they provide ILL service. They must provide services a minimum of 2 days per week.
- Maintain accurate Serial Holdings in the DOCLINE® System annually.
- Maintain accurate Routing Tables in the DOCLINE® System annually.
- Maintain accurate Institutional Record information in the DOCLINE® System annually.
Provide at least one representative to participate/monitor theDOCLINE-L Email Discussion List.
- Provide Loansome Doc service to their users and to unaffiliated healthcare professionals.
- Use EFTS (Electronic Funds Transfer System) for DOCLINE® billing and payments.
- Support Borrow Only Participants by becoming a Borrow Only Provider.
Regular Network Member Requirements
Regular Network membership is open to libraries or information resource centers providing health information services to its users but do not meet all the criteria of DOCLINE participating members. Each Network member is required to have at least one local contact from the Network member institution to receive communiques from the NN/LM MCR (e.g. telephone calls, mail, direct email, etc.).
Apply for Membership
Applying for Network membership is easy and takes only a few steps:
Step 1: Make sure you understand the responsibilities of the membership category you are applying for.
Step 2: Join the Network.
Step 3: Once your application and agreement form has been submitted, you will be contacted by your state coordinator to verify your membership acceptance. Find your State Coordinator
We look forward to working with you!