Public Health Information on the Web
Presenter: Kate Flewelling, Outreach Coordinator, NN/LM MAR (email@example.com)
The class will consist of 3 webinars and practice exercises. Participants who complete all activities will receive 4 MLA CE.
Tuesday, July 8, 2014: 10 – 11 am (ET) / Health Promotion and Education
Tuesday, July 15, 2014: 10 – 11 am (ET) / Evidence-Based Public Health
Tuesday, July 22, 2014: 10 – 11 am (ET) / Data & Statistics and Keeping Informed
Summary: This is a free online course for public health professionals and librarians. The field of public health encompasses a wide array of disciplines including health education, epidemiology and nursing. Digital literacy and the effective utilization of online information are among the core public health informatics competencies for the 21st century. This hands-on class will highlight web resources tailored to the public health workforce.
Participants will be able to:
- Discuss the role of information in the public health environment
- Identify resources to support health education and promotional programs and activities
- Retrieve information in support of evidence-based public health
- Obtain data sets and statistics relevant to public health on a state, local and national level
- Identify resources available to stay informed of developments related to public health