Job Ad: Assistant Director, Resources Management, Health Sciences Library (Position Revised)
Open Position as of February 1, 2013: Assistant Director, Resource Management Division, Health Sciences Library, New York Medical College, Westchester County, NY
The Health Sciences Library of New York Medical College seeks an Assistant Director, Resources Management Division Librarian. New York Medical College, a member of the Touro College and University System, is located in Valhalla, in beautiful Westchester County, New York, 450 square-miles of diverse living, with tiny river towns, suburban villages and urban centers. One of the best things about NYMC’s location is its proximity to New York City, with bus, train or car options to get you there in as little as 30 minutes. The Health Sciences Library serves more than 4500 faculty, employees, students, residents and fellows on a vibrant and growing campus now with our Schools of Medicine, Health Sciences and Practice, and Basic Medical Sciences. Please consider this opportunity yourself and/or pass along to your colleagues.
Job Description & Requirements:
Position summary: Provides day to day management of the acquisitions, cataloging, and serials functions of the Health Sciences Library (HSL) of New York Medical College (HSL) including collection development and e-resources. The incumbent in this position supervises 5 FTEs, including professionals (2.6) and support staff (2.0), and serves as a member of the senior management team. The incumbent must be able to articulate resources management functions within the vision and mission of the university and the library’s strategic plans.
- Day to day management of acquisitions, cataloging and serials control; serves as chief cataloger;
- Manages the content of the integrated library systems (ILS) and other relevant applications;
- Investigates, implements and evaluates continuous improvement of technical services capabilities (including training, performance appraisals, discipline, hiring and interviewing);
- Maintains and evaluates the integrity of record data and quality control for inclusion in the ILS;
- Manages the materials budget;
- Chairs the internal Collection Development Committee and its activities;
- Develops grants and projects for external sources of funding;
- Coordinates the development and maintenance of library-sponsored databases, such as the faculty author bibliography and discipline-specific resources;
- Continually maintains the SERHOLD and OCLC holdings records
- Provides analyses of interlibrary data and other sources of data concerning lending, borrowing, and copyright;
- Participates as a key member of the library’s senior management team;
- Serves as staff for the Faculty Senate Library and Academic Support Committee;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited MLS;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in one or more library technical services areas;
- Demonstrated ability to articulate a vision and mission for resources management functions as part of the digital library;
- Effective management experience, preferably in a technical services area;
- Solid working knowledge and expertise in cataloging, archives database development and maintenance;
- Demonstrated organizational abilities to develop and manage staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AACR2 (soon RDA), MARC, NLM & LC classifications, authority control and bibliographic utilities;
- Experience managing integrated library systems;
- Meticulous attention to detail, efficiency and thoroughness;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a changing environment;
- Understanding of technical services, archives, workflows, & both current and future trends;
- Eligible for membership in MLA Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP).
To apply, contact Alicia Parrish, Human Resources Manager, or Colleen Coccaro at (914) 594 4564 or Recruiter@nymc.edu, New York Medical College, 40 Sunshine Cottage Road, Valhalla, NY 10595.