Resources for Health Professionals
Below you will find some helpful online resources from the National Library of Medicine for accessing medical information. Please click on the heading to see an expanded list of resources.
To learn more about searching PubMed, please view the following Webinar Recording: PubMed Searching for Clinicians
- PubMed comprises more than 26 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
- PubMed Special Queries
- Directory of topic-specific PubMed queries including AIDS, Bioethics, Cancer, Space Life Sciences as well as Clinical Queries along with many other search strategies
- PubMed Health
- PubMed Health specializes in reviews of clinical effectiveness research, with easy-to-read summaries for consumers as well as full technical reports. Clinical effectiveness research finds answers to the question “What works?” in medical and health care.
- MedlinePlus Consumer and Patient Health Information
- MedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's web site for patients and their families and friends.
- Pediatric Education
- A pediatric digital library and learning collaboratory that provides updated cases
- American Indian Health
- Addresses the health and well-being of American Indians
- Arctic Health
- Research encompassing the health of the Arctic environment and our northernmost communities
- Multilingual and multicultural public health information for those working with or providing care to individuals with limited English proficiency
- Multicultural Resources for Health Information
- Information about cultural competency, tools, health literacy, research, and policy
- Health Information in Multiple Languages
- Links to find consumer health information in langauges other than English from MedlinePlus
- A Physician's Practical Guide to Culturally Competent Care
- This e-learning program is designed to equip physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners with the knowledge, skills, and awareness to best serve all patients, regardless of cultural or linguistic background
- Contains information on drugs and other chemicals to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed. It includes information on the levels of such substances in breast milk and infant blood, and the possible adverse effects in the nursing infant
- DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information
- The Pillbox website was developed to aid in the identification of unknown pills (oral solid dosage form medications). It combines images of pills with appearance and other information to enable users to visually search for and identify oral solid dosage form medications.
- Drug Information Portal
- The NLM Drug Information Portal gives users a gateway to selected drug information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and other key U.S. Government agencies.
- Household Products Database
- This database links over 16,000 consumer brands to health effects from Safety Data Sheets (formerly Material Safety Data Sheets) provided by manufacturers. The information allows scientists and consumers to research products based on chemical ingredients.
The GMR office provides funding opportunities across a number of topic areas, such as:
- Emergency Preparedness
- Technology Improvement
- Professional Development
- Native and Tribal Health