Health Resources for Public Libraries
NNLM and NLM Resources
Webinars and Videos
- How Naloxone Saves Lives in Opioid Overdose Naloxone saves lives. This video from the National Library of Medicine reviews when naloxone is used, how it is administered, and the way it works.
- Cómo la naloxona salva vidas por sobredosis de opioides La naloxona salva vidas. Este video explica cuándo se usa la naloxona, cómo se administra y cómo funciona.
- Understanding the Opioid Crisis: Where do I begin? Webinar recording
- Understanding Grief After an Overdose Death Webinar recording
- How Do Communities Welcome People Managing Mental Illnesses and the Disease of Addiction? Webinar recording
- The Prescription Drug and Heroin Epidemic A Public Health Response Webinar recording
- Opioid Abuse and Addiction (MedlinePlus)
- Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Opioid Crisis (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Opiate and Opioid Withdrawal (MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia)
- Understanding the Opioid Overdose Epidemic (MedlinePlus Magazine, Fall 2016)
- Opiate Addiction and Treatment (NLM Specialize Information Services)
- Get Naloxone Now, NLM
In response to the current opioid crisis, the National Library of Medicine partnered with Healthy Roads Media to produce a collection of materials that teach people about opioids and opioid misuse. The collection of Opioid Misuse and Addiction Resources has 22 easy-to-read handouts, videos, and audio recordings in English and Spanish.
- Prescription opioid medicines
- Opioid pain medication management
- What you should know if your child is prescribed opioids for pain
- Getting rid of unused opioids
- What is drug addiction?
- Why do people take drugs?
- Opioids and the brain
- Why do some people become addicted to drugs, while others do not?
- The effects of opioid misuse on the body
- Prescription opioids and illegal opioids – What is the connection?
- Comorbidity or dual diagnosis
- Pregnancy and opioids
- Drug abuse and adolescents
- Stigma and opioids
- Treatment basics
- Medications and behavioral therapies
- Drug abuse treatment as part of healthcare
- Preventing overdoses and overdose deaths
HealthReach offers easy access to free, quality, multilingual, multicultural health information for those working with or providing care to individuals with limited English proficiency (LEP). You can find culturally relevant information in multiple languages and formats about health conditions and wellness topics; print or download documents, view illustrations, listen to audio and watch videos.
HealthReach is also easy to use on tablets and mobile devices. Locate resources at point of need, everywhere with streamlined search features and results pages. All content is created or reviewed by medical professionals for quality and accuracy. Detailed abstracts, date of most recent medical review, and translation methods are provided for every resource.
Webinars and Videos
- A New Reality: The Opioid Epidemic & Kentucky Public Libraries
- The Opioid Epidemic and Libraries—Challenges, Resources, and More American Libraries
- Opioid Crisis Town Hall: Library Needs and Responses WebJunction
- Dealing with Opiate Users in the Library: From Behavior Management to Overdosers Florida Library Webinars
- Chera Kowalski: The critical role librarians play in the opioid crisis TedMED
- The Opiate Crisis: What Libraries Can Do InfoPeople
- Understanding the Opioid Crisis: What's at the Heart of the Matter CDC and SAMHSA
- Opioid Crisis: Libraries, Resources, Context and Data WebJunction
- Opioid Addiction Resources for Patrons WebJunction
- Public Libraries Respond to the Opioid Crisis with Their Communities
- Libraries and the Opioid Crisis Facebook group