"Epidemiologists: Qualified medical professionals who study the causes, incidence, and characteristic behavior of disease outbreaks or other health-related conditions and determine the interrelationships of hosts, agents, and environment related to the distribution and control of diseases." -- Definition from the NCBI MeSH Database.
"Epidemiology: Field of medicine concerned with the determination of causes, incidence, and characteristic behavior of disease outbreaks affecting human populations. It includes the interrelationships of host, agent, and environment as related to the distribution and control of disease." -- Definition from the NCBI MeSH Database.
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Epidemiology Glossary from the University of Washington – Glossary from the University of Washington’s Department of Medicine.
- Epidemiology Overview and Research from Science Boot Camp ( Video, 2011) – Dr. Michael Kneeland of UMass Medical School discusses the fundamentals of epidemiology, followed by Dr. Joel Tickner of UMass Lowell on epidemiological environmental health research. Presented at the 2011 Science Boot Camp for Librarians session on epidemiology. Length of video is 2 hours, 57 minutes.
- Epidemiology for the Uninitiated, Fourth Edition – Introduction to epidemiology provided by the British Medical Journal (BMJ).
- Fundamentals of Epidemiology I, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPHOpenCourseware)
- Supercourse: Epidemiology, the Internet and Global Health – A frequently updated repository of lectures on epidemiology and organized by subject matter, latest lecture uploaded/updated and lecturers. Created by WHO Collaborating Center University of Pittsburgh.
- Principles of Epidemiology in Public Health Practice, Third Edition - This is an online self study course/textbook produced by the CDC.
- Introduction to Epidemiology - This online learning material is part of the Public Health 101 Series by the CDC. This resource provides an overview of epidemiology research, methods, and data collection.
- Epidemiology: The Basic Science of Public Health - This is a 6 week online course on Coursera which is offered at different time periods. Instructors are from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Epidemiology and Data
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR): An international consortium of over 750 academic institutions and research organizations, ICPSR maintains a data archive of more than 250,000 files of research in the socila and behavioral sciences. Specialized collections include data in health care, education, and behavior.