DIL Guides and Reference Materials
Here you will find materials that are not directly focused on Data Information Literacy (DIL) education per se, but which may have value in either informing the development of DIL programs or have value as class readings or reference materials.
Booklets and Downloads
- Guidelines for Responsible Data Management in Scientific Research (PDF; 46 p., no date) – Developed by the Office of Research Integrity at the US Dept. of Health and Human Resources, this online course on conducting responsible data management in scientific research is targeted for new investigators and those new to the research process.
- Managing and Sharing Data (PDF; 40 p., 2011) – Comprehensive guide for researchers on data management best practices, created by the UK Data Archive. See 2014 book-version linked below.
Web-based Guides and Information
- Research Data Management Best Practices Database, DataONE - "provides individuals with recommendations on how to effectively work with their data through all stages of the data lifecycle."
- ICPSR Data Management and Curation - Resources from the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research including how to prepare and archive data, how to create a data management plan, considerations for confidential data, tools and resources, and much more.
- USGS Resources for Data Management - while some of this information is more relevant to geospatial data, the majority of this web site has excellent, general information on data management topics and tools.
- UK Data Archive online guide to data management - a comprehensive suite of information on data management topics.
- Data Information Literacy: Librarians, Data, and the Education of a New Generation of Researchers, Jake Carlson and Lisa R. Johnston (editors). January 2015. 272 pages, Purdue University Press.
- Managing and Sharing Research Data, A Guide to Good Practice, Louise Corti, Veerle Van den Eynden, Libby Bishop, Matthew Woollard. March 2014, 240 pages, SAGE Publications Ltd. See also: companion website.
- Managing Research Data, Graham Pryor, editor. 2012, 224 pages, Facet Publishing.
- Research Data Management: Practical Strategies for Information Professionals, Joyce M. Ray, editor. 2014, Purdue University Press.