Data Management Plan
A collection of online data management guides, tools, and other resources for researchers and librarians. For scholarly publications and other resources on data-intensive scholarship, see the Data Curation page.
Data Management Guides
- DataONE Best Practices – Primer on Data Management: What you always wanted to know (but were afraid to ask)
- Good DMP Examples + Going Beyond Two Pages (2012) – Posting from DataPubs blog with practical tips geared to researchers.
- Carnegie Mellon University LibGuide on Data Management – Data Management 101
- Cornell University Research Data Management Service Group – Best Practices guidance for data management
- Data Management – MIT Libraries’ guide to Data Management: a guide for faculty and researchers.
- Support for Research Data Management – Guide developed at the University of Cambridge addressing components of data management.
Please see the Repositories Page for information about data repositories
- Software Carpentry – Lessons for teaching tools essential to data management (e.g.. GitHub, Unix)
- Data Cite – The DataCite Consortium provides a number of services to support efforts at increasing the ease and prevalence of data citation
- DMP Tool – Open access data management plan tool designed to help researchers meet funding agencies’ DMP requirements.
- Data Curation Profiles Toolkit – Toolkit intended to help librarians engage in conversations with researchers, understand data management in different disciplines, help identify possible data services, and serve as a starting point for curating a dataset.
- Glossary of Data Management Terms – Glossary provided by Cornell University Research Data Management Services Group
- Data Management Checklist – UK Data Services
Guidelines from Funding Agencies
- National Institute of Health Guidelines – NIH’s data sharing policies and guidelines.
- National Institute of Health Genomic Data Sharing Guidelines (2014) – NIH guidelines for the sharing of human and non-human genomic data.
- SPARC Data Sharing Requirements by Funding Agency (2016) – A community resource for tracking, comparing, and understanding both current and future U.S. federal funder research data sharing policies is a joint project of SPARC & Johns Hopkins University Libraries.
- DMPTool Funder Requirements List (2018) – As new Data Management Plan Guidelines become available, they will be added to this page and eventually to the DMPTool.
- Funding Agency Guidelines – Compiled by the University of Minnesota Libraries
- National Science Foundation: Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results (2010) – NSF’s guidelines for data management and sharing
- De-Mystifying the Data Management Requirements of Research Funders (2012) – Examines the current data management requirements of major US funding agencies in order to better understand data management requirements that researchers face and their implications for libraries who provide research data management services.
Data Management Plan Examples and TemplatesUC San Diego data management plan examples NSF samples.
- Data Management Planning Templates from Columbia University – Templates of data management plans via funder requirements.
last edited 04/15/2020