Data Management Plan
A collection of online data management guides, tools, and other resources for researchers and librarians. For scholarly publications and other resources on data-intensive scholarship, see the Data Curation page.
Data Management Guides
- DataONE Best Practices – Primer on Data Management: What you always wanted to know (but were afraid to ask)
- Ten Simple Rules for Creating a Good Data Management Plan (2015) -- an installment of the Ten Simple Rules series of PLOS Computational Biology
- Carnegie Mellon University LibGuide on Data Management – Data Management 101
- Cornell University Research Data Management Service Group – Best Practices guidance for data management
- Data Management – MIT Libraries’ guide to Data Management: a guide for faculty and researchers.
- Support for Research Data Management – Guide developed at the University of Cambridge addressing components of data management.
Please see the Repositories Page for information about data repositories
- Software Carpentry – Lessons for teaching tools essential to data management (e.g.. GitHub, Unix)
- Data Cite – The DataCite Consortium provides a number of services to support efforts at increasing the ease and prevalence of data citation
- DMP Tool – Open access data management plan tool designed to help researchers meet funding agencies’ DMP requirements.
- Data Curation Profiles Toolkit – Toolkit intended to help librarians engage in conversations with researchers, understand data management in different disciplines, help identify possible data services, and serve as a starting point for curating a dataset.
- Glossary of Data Management Terms – Glossary provided by Cornell University Research Data Management Services Group
- Data Management Checklist – UK Data Services
Guidelines from Funding Agencies
- National Institute of Health Guidelines – NIH’s data sharing policies and guidelines.
- National Institute of Health Genomic Data Sharing Guidelines (2014) – NIH guidelines for the sharing of human and non-human genomic data.
- SPARC Data Sharing Requirements by Funding Agency (2016) – A community resource for tracking, comparing, and understanding both current and future U.S. federal funder research data sharing policies is a joint project of SPARC & Johns Hopkins University Libraries.
- DMPTool Funder Requirements List (2018) – As new Data Management Plan Guidelines become available, they will be added to this page and eventually to the DMPTool.
- Funding Agency Guidelines – Compiled by the University of Minnesota Libraries
- National Science Foundation: Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results (2010) – NSF’s guidelines for data management and sharing
- Data Management: Federal Funding Agency Requirements - Northwestern University's data management guide, with a section on federal data management policies
Data Management Plan Examples and Templates
- Data Management Planning Templates from Columbia University – Templates of data management plans via funder requirements.
last edited 10/28/2020