Courses and Workshops
- Coursera offers a number of online courses related to data science and data management
- Lynda.com – Check with your public or academic library to see if you have free access to this online learning platform.
- edX – MOOCs offered by Harvard and MIT, among others, on a number of data-related topics
- Best Practices for Biomedical Research Data Management – A BD2K funded MOOC from Harvard's Countway Library of Medicine. Coming soon!
- Biomedical & Health Research Data Management Training for Librarians – Sponsored by the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Training Office (NTO), this course provides basic knowledge and skills for librarians interested in helping patrons manage their research data.
- Medical Library Association Data Special Interest Group (MLA Data SIG) – Connect with medical librarians and staff that provide data services: management, visualization, programming, analysis, cleaning, discovery, & sharing (must be a member of MLA to log in)
- Data Matters: Data Science Short Course Series – A week-long series of classes held at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill for researchers, data analysts, and other individuals who wish to increase their skills in data studies and integrate data science methods into their research designs and skill sets.
- Science Boot Camp for Librarians – An opportunity for librarians to immerse into learning about science disciplines. Find a SBC in your region!
Online Courses and Tutorials
- DIY Research Data Management Training Kit for Librarians (2013) – Developed and piloted by data librarians on small groups of librarians at the University of Edinburgh, this kit is designed to contain everything needed (PowerPoint presentations, exercises, podcasts, MANTRA online course, evaluation forms, etc. to complete a similar training course on your own (in small groups) and is based on open educational materials.
- Data Management Course – An online course designed by Lisa Johnson and Jon Jeffryes for graduate students created by the University of Minnesota.
- RDM for Librarians – An online training course that delivers concise and comprehensive instruction on research data management specifically for librarians.
- Data Management for Clinical Research – A six-week Coursera online course offered periodically. Taught by Vanderbilt University biomedical informatics faculty, the course focuses on critical concepts and practical methods to support research data planning, collection, storage and dissemination.
- DataONE Data Management Education Modules – This education program is geared towards earth scientists, but it contains much useful information for librarians to help them to be a resource to their faculty and researchers. Topics include metadata, data sharing, citation, and the data lifecycle.
- RDMRose Learning Materials/Version 1 (2013) – RDMRose is a JISC-funded project for continuing professional education learning materials in research data management tailored for information professionals. Filled with hands-on activities, the course is modular, consisting of eight sections. Topics include why research data management is important for researchers and roles information science professionals can play. There is also a shorter version, RDMRose Lite, which is a two-hour overview.
- Digital Curation 101: How to Manage Research Data by the Digital Curation Centre – A comprehensive collection of reports, presentations, and briefs covering all aspects of the data lifecycle, including ingest, appraisal and selection, metadata, preservation, and reuse. Elements are categorized by topic and can be accessed and completed at your own pace.
- Essentials 4 Data Support (formerly Data Intelligence 4 Librarians) – Online course developed in the Netherlands as a component of a hybrid online/face-to-face course on data management for librarians. Data management topics explained clearly with illustrative graphics.
- Research Data Management: Hands on Workshop - This project includes material designed for teaching a 1.5 hour research data management workshop. It involves a case study that requires workshop participants to navigate messy data to identify the data that corresponds with the data represented in a figure from an article. Workshop attendees are then required to modify the messy data to follow research data management best practices.
- Research Data Management for Health Sciences Librarians – Developed by librarians at the NYU Health Science Library, this online course is designed to prepare health sciences librarians to understand and subsequently teach research data management at their own institution. The course also offers strategies for identifying opportunities to teach research data management in specific environments.
- Research Data Management Teaching Toolkit – Developed by librarians at the NYU Health Science Library, this teaching toolkit is designed to be used for a one hour introductory data management class for biomedical researchers. It consists of an instructional guide for teaching the material, a PowerPoint presentation with a script in the accompanying notes to each slide, and a separate evaluation form. This material is built on training material provided in the BD2K funded online research data management educational modules (above).